FILE – In this Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017 file photo, Martina Hingis, of Switzerland, kisses the women’s doubles championship trophy next to partner Chan Yung-Jan, of Taiwan, not pictured, after beating Katerina Siniakova, of Czech Republic, and Lucie Hradecka, of the Czech Republic, in the women’s doubles final of the U.S. Open tennis tournament. Martina Hingis announced Thursday, Oct. 26 that she will retire from tennis for the third time in her career at the end of the ongoing WTA Finals. The Swiss initially confirmed the news on Twitter and Facebook after winning her quarterfinal doubles match.(AP Photo/Julie Jacobson, File)SINGAPORE — Martina Hingis announced Thursday that she will retire from tennis for the third time in her career at the end of the ongoing WTA Finals.The Swiss initially confirmed the news on Twitter and Facebook after winning her quarterfinal doubles match. The top-seeded pair, Hingis and Chan Yung-Jan of Taipei, defeated Anna-Lena Groenefeld of Germany and Kveta Peschke of Czech Republic 6-3, 6-2.ADVERTISEMENT It’s too early to present Duterte’s ‘legacy’ – Lacson MOST READ In 2013, Hingis returned to tennis as a doubles-only player. She won 10 of her Grand Slam doubles titles since coming out of retirement in 2013.“I’m looking forward to the things ahead of me, and tennis will always be a part of my life,” Hingis said, adding that “the travel will definitely be one thing I won’t miss anymore.”Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set This year, Hingis has won nine women’s doubles titles, including the U.S. Open with Chan. She also won the Wimbledon and U.S. Open mixed doubles trophies with Jamie Murray.Hingis won last year’s WTA Finals doubles title with Sania Mirza of India.Hingis first walked away from tennis in 2003 because of injuries.She returned to the sport in 2006, but after testing positive for cocaine during the 2007 Wimbledon tournament she left the game again. Despite having already retired, in 2008 she was sentenced to a two-year ban from tennis for the positive drug test.“The previous times (I retired) I always had things in the back of my head that I might be able to, singles and then doubles, might be able to do that,” Hingis said. “I think now it’s definite. Before I was thinking I might come back.”ADVERTISEMENT Margot Robbie talks about filming ‘Bombshell’s’ disturbing sexual harassment scene Kiss-and-tell matinee idol’s conquests: True stories or tall tales? Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. “I told Latisha (Chan) from the start (of the year), ‘Hey this will probably be my last year,” Hingis said. “Probably people think after a season like this (to continue) but I think it’s perfect timing because you want to stop on top.”“I couldn’t ask for a better finish.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSRedemption is sweet for Ginebra, Scottie ThompsonSPORTSMayweather beats Pacquiao, Canelo for ‘Fighter of the Decade’SPORTSFederer blasts lack of communication on Australian Open smogThe 37-year-old Hingis amassed five Grand Slam singles titles, 13 Grand Slam doubles titles, and seven Grand Slam mixed doubles titles during her stop-start career.Overall, she has won 43 singles and 64 doubles titles, and was one of six players to hold the No. 1 ranking in singles and doubles at the same time in her career. Coco’s house rules on ‘Probinsyano’ set Jake says relationship with Shaina ‘goes beyond physical attraction’ Jo Koy: My brain always wants to think funny LATEST STORIES Coach Luke Walton: It ‘would be silly’ to tinker with Lonzo Ball’s shooting style Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard PLAY LIST 02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award OSG plea to revoke ABS-CBN franchise ‘a duplicitous move’ – Lacson View comments
This morning, Microsoft announced the technical preview to Office 2010 to much fanfare. The most prominently touted aspect has been the Web access to the suite, which has been seen as Microsoft’s answer to the way Google, Zoho and others have dominated the SaaS market for office suites thus far. But what they didn’t tell you is that the browser-based version of Office 2010 will not be part of this technical preview, which will have its own release for which no date has been set. Microsoft’s own press release on the technical preview of Office 2010 focuses mostly on the Web access, which they describe as “lightweight” and “collaborative.” Microsoft made fairly clear that the technical preview is not a beta, and access is extremely limited. However, upon further probes by the likes of Om Malik and others, it turns out that only the desktop versions of Office 2010 are a part of the technical preview. Microsoft PR replied to Malik with this statement, confirming that Web Office will have a separate technical preview:Web applications are included in the technical preview milestone but not part of the technical preview program. They will have a separate technical preview later this summer. Related Posts steven walling Cognitive Automation is the Immediate Future of… 3 Areas of Your Business that Need Tech Now Massive Non-Desk Workforce is an Opportunity fo… IT + Project Management: A Love Affair Tags:#enterprise
Tags:#Android#mobile#Poll Why IoT Apps are Eating Device Interfaces What it Takes to Build a Highly Secure FinTech … Role of Mobile App Analytics In-App Engagement Related Posts Image credit: Ubergizmo This week, a survey of Android developers conducted by Baird’s William Powers was highlighted by CNN’s Fortune blog in a post titled “Android is a Mess, Say Developers.” The results showed that a large number of developers have begun to build Android applications – in fact, 71% said they were building for Android, while 62% said they were building for iOS. But Fortune’s blogger, the pro-Apple Philip Elmer DeWitt focused on another aspect of the survey’s results: the problems that building for Android entails.At the top of the list was the fragmentation issue, with 56% of developers saying it was a “meaningful” or “huge” problem. Do you agree? Let us know in this week’s poll.Fragmentation is Real, but How Much of a Problem?This isn’t the first time we’ve heard this complaint from developers. Fragmentation, not just of the OS itself, but the large number of Android devices and form factors out there, means that developers have to deal with a much more complicated environment than they do when building for the iPhone or iPad.According to the survey, 24% of developers said fragmentation was a “huge” problem, 33% said it was a “meaningful” problem, 13% said it was somewhat of a problem and 17% said it was a problem. Only 14% said it was not a problem.In addition, the survey asked about other issues, like store fragmentation (due to the alternative marketplaces for apps), ease of development, app visibility and the ability to get paid. Apparently, fragmentation made Android difficult to build for, because iOS beat it here on the “ease of development” question. What also interested us in reading through this news were the comments on the original blog post. A sampling:..Android development is significantly easier because I’m a Java developer. Objective-C is only used on Apple…I’d have to learn a whole new language to build apps for the iPhone…Fragmentation can be solved by specifying hardware requirements in your manifest file. I’ve been developing for both and Android development is much easier. Am I alone in this opinion?Seems to me that the universe of this poll is way too limited. I develop for both and I think Android is much easier. Of course fragmentation is an issue but, like in any product develop cycle, you have to define who is the target of your product.Seems odd to me that IOS is rated as easier to develop on, for the simple reason that Android development is done in Java, a language most developers new to the platform already know. Objective C is an elegant language, but it does have a learning curve.What if Android is fragmented…what developers care for: “is there an audience big enough for me to make money?” If yes, they will go through any amount of pain. As an Android developer with over 30,000 downloads I can say that “fragmentation” is a problem, but its a problem in the same way the CSS browser incompatibly is a problem. Yes its annoying but nobody is calling HTML/CSS “fragmented”.Missing the trees for the forest. Developers are CHOOSING Android first DESPITE what laypersons refer to as fragmentation. That should tell you something, namely that Android is a much more preferable development environment than iOS.So, what do you think? Is Android fragmentation the “huge” and “meaningful” problem this survey says it is? And does that mean it makes Android much harder to build for? And by the way, how is it that the survey asked if something is a problem, a huge problem, a meaningful problem or somewhat of a problem all in the same question? Really?! How about something a little more straightforward?Is Android development a problem or not, or only somewhat?You tell us – in what’s hopefully a little less biased of a poll question. sarah perez The Rise and Rise of Mobile Payment Technology
Even as life is limping back to normality in the districts ravaged by cyclone Fani on May 3, the Odisha government on Wednesday presented a preliminary report putting the losses at ₹11,942 crore.The report was presented to the visiting inter-ministerial Central team assessing the cyclone damages. The cyclone affected 1.6 crore people in 18,388 villages and 51 towns in 14 districts of Odisha.A detailed memorandum on the damages and funds required for relief and restoration will be submitted to the Centre after the estimation of the actual loss, State Chief Secretary Aditya Prasad Padhi told reporters after the meeting with the Central team hereJoint Secretary in the Union Home Ministry, Vivek Bhardwaj, who headed the 11-member Central team, appreciated the Odisha government’s action in providing relief and assistance to the affected people.The districts affected by Fani are: Puri, Khurda, Cuttack, Mayurbhanj, Keonjhar, Balasore, Bhadrak, Jajpur, Angul, Dhenkanal, Nayagarh, Ganjam, Kendrapara and Jagatsinghpur.More than five lakh houses were damaged in the region, including 1,89,095 houses and apartments in Puri district alone. Puri district was in the eye of the storm which caused 64 human casualties. Lakhs of livestock also perished in the cyclone, which damaged summer crops, plantations and sanctuaries. While the cyclone caused losses to government properties and the Jagannath temple to the tune of ₹5,175 crore, an amount of ₹6,767 crore was required for relief and response, the State said.The highest estimated loss of ₹1,159 core was suffered by the power sector managed by the Energy Department. The losses in the Panchayati Raj and the Drinking Water departments stand at ₹587 crore.The Works Department suffered losses to the tune of ₹597 crore, the Forest and Environment Department ₹537 crore, the Housing and Urban Development ₹524 crore, and the Rural Development Department suffered a loss of ₹435 crore, according to the preliminary report. As many as 44 teams of the National Disaster Response Force, 20 teams of the Odisha Disaster Response Force and 525 fire and disaster response teams, including around 200 teams from Andhra Pradesh and West Bengal are engaged in the post-cyclone work, the government said. While relief work was on in the affected areas, the government said 339 tankers, 214 generator sets and 1,029 PVC tanks were deployed for ensuring water supply. While 100% water supply was restored in Bhubaneswar, 90% water supply was restored in Puri town. All roads in Bhubaneswar and Puri were cleared.As regards power supply, the government said 80% was restored in Bhubaneswar. While restoration work was started in Puri two days ago, the main areas of the coastal town were provided electricity on Wednesday.