CANBERRA, Australia (AP) — A Chinese-Australian billionaire has been awarded $450,000 in damages after winning his defamation case over an a state broadcaster’s investigation that suggested he was a member of the Chinese Communist Party who bribed Australia lawmakers to make decisions in China’s interests. Chau Chak Wing sued Australian Broadcasting Corp. and Fairfax Media over the investigation broadcast on the “Four Corners” program and published in newspapers in 2017. The court rejected two of his claims but found four of them were defamatory. The ABC and Nine Entertainment were considering whether to appeal. The publishers had previously had their truth defense struck out, leaving only the question of whether Chau’s claims had been suggested in their reporting.
11SHARESShareShareSharePrintMailGooglePinterestDiggRedditStumbleuponDeliciousBufferTumblr Credit unions should immediately evaluate their credit reporting practices, find ways to get better breach data and prepare for a spike in fraud in the wake of Equifax’s enormous data breach, two experts have warned.The Equifax breach, announced Sept. 7, affects 143 million U.S. consumers. Compromised information primarily includes names, Social Security numbers, birth dates, addresses and in some cases driver’s license numbers. The breach also jeopardized credit card numbers for about 209,000 people, as well as dispute documents for about 182,000 consumers.Liability ConcernsThough consumers are understandably worried about the ramifications of the breach, so are credit unions, according to David Reed, who is an attorney and partner at the Arlington, Va.-based Reed & Jolly, which specializes in credit unions and is counseling them about the breach, including whether and how to maintain a relationship with Equifax. continue reading »
“Of course we have less income in 2020 due to the postponement.” Parsons added that the IPC had not requested any financial support from the International Olympic Committee (IOC) to combat the cash flow issue, saying the organisation would seek to solve the issue internally. He confirmed that although there were cash flow issues, the IPC had no plans to let staff go. The IPC President also said the organisation were in contact with National Paralympic Committees (NPC) to address issues they may experience during the pandemic or due to the postponement of the Paralympic Games. Several NPCs have paid entry fees and for hotel accommodation at events, which have been impacted by cancellations or postponements. Parsons said the organisation were hopeful that NPCs which have already paid for accommodation for Tokyo 2020 could see their agreement remain in place for their rescheduled Paralympic Games in 2021. “Cancelled events and changed plans come at a cost to our members, who are normally not big and rich organisations,” he said. “They are not immune to the financial problems that come with COVID-19. “Some have already paid entry fees, hotels and tickets for events that have been cancelled so we are helping them with that and liaising with the local organising committees on how some of this money can go back to the National Paralympic Committees. “The best-case scenario is that the hotels where there is already an agreement for this year can offer the same service next year without having to charge a penalty fee.” Parsons thanked athletes and NPCs for their support during the coronavirus pandemic, which has seen more than 1.4 million cases worldwide and over 84,000 deaths. read also:IPC invite nominations for Athletes’ Council elections He said the Paralympic Games, now scheduled for August 24 to September 5 in 2021, could be a “sporting and humanitarian triumph”. FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Parsons said the organisation were currently reviewing 150 contracts related to the Paralympic Games, which were rescheduled from 2020 to 2021 earlier this month. He said the IPC had already identified more than €1 million (£877,000/$1 million) in savings, roughly five per cent of their 2020 budget, as they adjust to the postponement of the Games and the impact of the coronavirus pandemic. The IPC 2018 financial report showed a budget of €24 million (£21 million/$26 million). Parsons said broadcast and commercial partners had been supportive of the decision to postpone the Paralympic Games, while adding that he understood why some had asked to delay payments. He stressed that the IPC would not lose money due to the postponement, but admitted the postponement had created a cash flow issue. “Like all businesses we are tremendously affected by the COVID-19 crisis,” Parsons said on a media teleconference today. “One immediate aspect of the Games postponement is a change in the cash flow of the IPC. “This week we have nearly completed an exercise reviewing more than 150 contracts that are Games related and we are embarking on negotiations to best resolve these changes. “One example is the broadcasters. “Some of them have already asked if they can delay final payments to 2021, which we can understand as the product will be delivered in 2021. “All of our partners have been hugely supportive, we had a call with our commercial partners where they asked what they could do to help us and the athletes. “It was really positive to hear this attitude, with the relationships that we have been building for years. International Paralympic Committee (IPC) President, Andrew Parsons, has acknowledged the organisation faces cash flow issues, with some broadcasters seeking to delay payments due to the postponement of the Tokyo 2020 Paralympic Games. Loading… Promoted ContentThe Funniest Prankster Grandma And Her GrandsonWho Is The Most Powerful Woman On Earth?The Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read More8 Superfoods For Growing Hair Back And Stimulating Its Growth7 Ways To Understand Your Girlfriend Better6 Most Unforgettable Bridges In The World14 Hilarious Comics Made By Women You Need To Follow Right Now8 Things You Didn’t Know About CoffeeWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?13 kids at weddings who just don’t give a hoot6 Interesting Ways To Make Money With A DroneThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical
“At this moment we have a lack of creativity and you can see that but they have done it (played well in the past) so they can do it.” So why, after spending over a quarter of a billion pounds on new players, can Van Gaal not inspire his team to perform well on a regular basis? Is it because he refuses to come to the touchline in matches to bark orders at his players like Sir Alex Ferguson did? “I’m not Sir Alex, as you know,” said Van Gaal, who has rarely come to the touchline to speak to his players during his spell at the club. “Everybody is different and I don’t believe in yelling from the sidelines. I believe in communication during the week, during the preparation and I believe in my players who have to perform. “It’s very difficult because of the noise. “A lot of managers are (yelling from the sidelines) but I doubt if they have real influence.” At times on Monday it seemed as if Van Gaal was in denial. He even offered the theory that traffic could have been to blame for the exodus by scores of supporters before Wayne Rooney’s 93rd minute penalty on Saturday. ”They are not thinking that we would score, I think, and maybe also because of the traffic,” he said. Van Gaal even suggested United fans should be happy with their team’s current form. ”You have to be happy as a Manchester United fan that we are in next round and we have won the last two games,” he added There was also a reminder to the supporters that life was not always rosy before he took over. “The fans have to know that we can’t always play fantastic football,” Van Gaal said. “And that was also the case in former days. I’m sorry, but it is like that.” Ryan Giggs and Scholes were ever-presents during Ferguson’s successful spell at the helm. Giggs has rarely been allowed to speak in public since he became Van Gaal’s assistant, so his thoughts on Scholes’ criticism of his boss are unknown. “No,” was the flat answer when asked whether Giggs ever discusses Scholes’ criticism of the club. Van Gaal insists the former winger who symbolised United’s attacking traditions with his playing style, does have serious input when it comes to the team’s current tactics, though. “He has a lot of influence in our decisions because I communicate every decision with my staff so he can have a big influence,” Van Gaal said. “I work in a fantastic way with Ryan so that’s the only thing I can say but when you want to hear something about his feelings according to what Paul Scholes or Gary Neville are saying, you have to ask him.” Louis van Gaal admits his Manchester United players have driven him to boredom and anger at times this season. Those wins have merely papered over the cracks, however. The pressure is still on Van Gaal because of the often dull and uninspiring performances of his team. Paul Scholes branded United’s style of play “boring” earlier this season and following Saturday’s 1-0 victory over Legue One opposition, the former club great claimed both Van Gaal and his players looked “bored” during the third round tie. Van Gaal has been at odds with Scholes for much of his 18-month spell at the club, but on Monday the 64-year-old conceded some of the football on display at Old Trafford this season has been rather dull. “There are matches that I have enjoyed,” Van Gaal said. “And there are also matches where I’m very bored or angry because we are not disorganising our opponent’s defence but that is football.” Van Gaal railed at the suggestion that his primary aim is to stifle the opposition, rather than attack. “Do you know that,” Van Gaal snapped during an edgy press conference at Carrington. “I am not concerned (about defending more than attacking). Van Gaal’s future as United boss will be thrown into question again on Tuesday if his team fail to win at Newcastle. United ended an eight-match winless run by defeating Swansea nine days ago and then followed that victory up with another triumph in the FA Cup against Sheffield United. Press Association