Heisler: Can someone from Lakers tell LaVar Ball to shut up? “It’s great what Rick Carlisle said,” Rivers said. “I just think we’re easy targets all the time. It’s just good to have someone fighting for us. I thought what Rick said was terrific. It’s just tough. It’s the world we’re in and we all made it. It is what it is and we all deal with it.“Stuff like that, it’s going to keep happening. We know it. I just hope we handle it better.”GRIFFIN UPDATEBlake Griffin rode on a stationary bicycle during the morning shootaround at the Clippers’ Playa Vista training facility, the first step in the NBA’s concussion protocol. There are several more steps he must take before he’s cleared to practice or play and there’s no timetable for his return to the lineup.“We just have to wait,” Rivers said.Griffin suffered a concussion when he was elbowed in the head by JaVale McGee of Golden State during the Clippers’ loss to the Golden State Warriors on Saturday afternoon. Griffin, the Clippers’ leading scorer, was sidelined for 14 games by a sprained left knee earlier this season.TEODOSIC IMPROVESMilos Teodosic sat out for the second consecutive game after aggravating the plantar fascia injury in his left foot that sidelined him for 22 games earlier this season. He could be back in the lineup as early as next Monday’s game against the Houston Rockets, Rivers said.“Milos is doing well,” Rivers said.“Is he playing tonight?” a reporter asked.“He’s not doing that well,” Rivers said, laughing. LOS ANGELES — LaVar Ball’s long-distance criticism of Lakers coach Luke Walton sent shockwaves through the NBA coaching fraternity that continued for another day. It was Clippers coach Doc Rivers’ turn to sound off about Ball’s statement that Walton had lost the support of the Lakers’ players.“That’s awful,” Rivers said Monday before the Clippers faced the Atlanta Hawks at Staples Center. “I just think it’s awful. I’m not going to go deep into that, because I’m not with them (the Lakers). But I am a coach. I just think it’s awful.”The Lakers asked Ball, the outspoken father of point guard Lonzo Ball, to cease his verbal assaults on Walton earlier this season. But, after a period of silence, LaVar Ball sounded off to an ESPN reporter while with his two younger sons, who are playing in Lithuania.LaVar Ball said in a story posted Sunday on ESPN’s website that Walton lost control of the Lakers’ locker room and the players “are not playing for Luke no more.” Lonzo Ball responded to his father’s comments by saying, “I’ll play for anybody.” Related Articles Kyle Kuzma defends Luke Walton, says most Lakers ‘love playing for him’ Big Baller Brand called out by Better Business Bureau after complaints, sued for back payment LaVar Ball also said of the 39-year-old Walton in the ESPN article: “Even if you bring in a LeBron (James) or a (Paul) George (as free agents in the offseason), what’s he gonna tell them? He’s too young. He has no control.”Walton did what he could to let the story die and Lakers management, to this point, has decided not to comment. Rick Carlisle, coach of the Dallas Mavericks and the president of the NBA coaches’ association, delivered a stern rebuke of the elder Ball and of ESPN’s reporting.Carlisle called ESPN’s interview with LaVar Ball “a disgrace.”“Luke Walton is a terrific young coach who is bringing along a young team, and it’s a difficult task,” Carlisle said before Dallas’ game in New York. “If you don’t believe it, just ask me. We’re going through that now (with the Mavericks) and went through that last year.”Walton told Lakers beat reporters he received calls of support from other NBA coaches. Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error
For more local news and the story below was from www.kglonews.comMASON CITY — Remnants of Tropical Storm Cristobal are expected to reach Iowa Tuesday morning, bringing heavy rain and potential flash flooding.Meteorologist Brooke Hagenhoff, at the National Weather Service, says those big named storms over the Gulf of Mexico usually break up before they reach Iowa, but this one should remain a post-tropical depression, which is very uncommon.“That has really only happened once since records have been kept and that was in 1900, a Galveston (Texas) hurricane,” Hagenhoff says, “so, very rare.” The storm’s arrival will mean the end of the hot and humid weather in Iowa, funneling in much cooler temperatures and the potential for multiple heavy downpours between Tuesday morning and evening.“We are looking at rainfall totals of between two to three inches that go across portions of southeast and eastern Iowa,” Hagenhoff says. “That’s really where the main axis is going to be for the heavier precipitation.” The storm may bring western and central Iowa just an inch to an inch-and-a-half of rain, but then another system will arrive from the west late Tuesday into Wednesday morning, which could bring another inch or two of rain.“Thankfully, the rain with that secondary system coming out of the west is going to bring the heavier rainfall across western and central Iowa,” Hagenhoff says. “So, the axis for the heavy rainfall from the tropical system and the secondary one are not going to overlap.”A Flash Flood Watch is in effect along and east of the Interstate 35 corridor, including the Mason City-Clear Lake area.Rare remains of tropical storm to bring heavy rain to Iowa
Chelsea were unable to make the most of their early dominance in an entertaining first half.Willian came closest to breaking the deadlock for the Premier League leaders, curling a shot just pass the post from the edge of the box when he should have scored.Chelsea, with the more defensively minded John Mikel Obi selected to replace the suspended Nemanja Matic in midfield, looked composed and confident from the outset.Willian sent a fizzing low effort narrowly wide after a sweet move and the excellent Eden Hazard curled a shot well wide following an adventurous run from the halfway line.The hosts did threaten on the break on a couple of occasions, with their best chance seeing Thibaut Courtois block Jack Colback’s close-range strike.But the Blues continued to control possession and create the better chances.Gary Cahill headed over from a corner, Willian was just wide with another strike after a stunning Hazard run, and Costa had a couple of decent strikes on goal.But although the Blues, who are looking to set a club record of 24 matches unbeaten in all competitions, were on top, Newcastle improved in the latter stages.Colback had another shot off target while Oscar almost scored in the final seconds with a stunning overhead kick.Follow West London Sport on TwitterFind us on Facebook
The holders, meanwhile, will rely on the players who led them back to the world stage, with Marcello Lippi resisting the temptation to recall Francesco Totti to an Italy squad that has Giuseppe Rossi as its only foreign-based player. In the closely-matched Group D, Germany surprised many by including Hamburg defender Dennis Aogo and Bayern Munich youngster Holger Badstuber, while Radomir Antic named seven England-based players in a formidable looking Serbia squad. Australia and Ghana, meanwhile, have backed two of their key players to recover from injury in time, with Harry Kewell and Michael Essien both included. Sadly, injuries forced the hands of many, with Charlie Davies failing to recover in time to take his place in a USA squad that instead included the comparatively inexperienced striking duo of Edson Buddle and Herculez Gomez. BrazilThe task of choosing from Brazil’s embarrassment of riches fell to Dunga, who resisted a public clamour by staying true to the players who topped their qualifying group and won last year’s Fifa Confederations Cup. Group F rivals Portugal, meanwhile, have gambled on the fitness of Real Madrid centre-half Pepe, sidelined since December, while shock inclusions were conspicuous by their absence in Sven-Goran Eriksson’s star-studded Cote d’Ivoire squad. Finally, hosts South Africa sprung few surprises in their announcement, with prodigal son Benni McCarthy, as expected, completing his return from the international wilderness by making Carlos Alberto Parreira’s provisional list. Elsewhere in Group C, there was a place for Groningen’s in-form young striker Tim Matavz in Matjaz Kek’s Slovenia selection, while Algeria coach Rabah Sadaane sprung few surprises in a squad dominated by a strong Europe-based contingent. Fifa: provisional 30-man squads The Three Lions’ Italian coach, who failed to convince Paul Scholes to join Carragher in coming out of retirement, also included two as yet uncapped players: King’s central defensive partner, Michael Dawson, and the exciting Manchester City winger, Adam Johnson. 14 May 2010 Source: Fifa.com A quartet of Arsenal players and a trio of Ligue 1-winning Marseille players were named in France coach’s Raymond Domenech’s 30, while Mexico have named just five recognised midfielders in a squad that will be without the talents of the injured Miguel Sabah. The inclusion of Wolfsburg striker Grafite raised a few eyebrows, however, while Tottenham Hotspur goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes was rewarded for his fine form in the Londoners’ outstanding Premier League campaign with the third goalkeeping slot. Maradona unpredictableInevitably, Diego Maradona’s selection proved less predictable, with the Argentina coach picking the largely unknown trio of Ariel Garce, Sebastian Blanco and Juan Manuel Insaurralde among a nine-strong contingent of home-based players that also includes 36-year-old Martin Palermo. England surprisesThere were even more surprises for fans of the Americans’ opening match opponents, England, for whom Jamie Carragher and Ledley King – neither of whom have played under Fabio Capello – both received call-ups. As always with these preliminary squad announcements, surprise inclusions and notable, often controversial, omissions dominated the headlines, even if plenty of coaches remained faithful to the tried and tested stars who had excelled during qualifying. Another veteran striker who could be lining up against Maradona’s side in their South Africa 2010 opener is Kanu. The Portsmouth striker, who turns 34 in August, was named alongside club colleague John Utaka in Nigeria coach Lars Lagerback’s 30-man list. Competing at a Fifa World Cup is the highlight of any footballer’s career; this week it was revealed which players have moved a step closer to realising that dream. Title favouritesSpain, many observers’ favourites for the title, have named the injured trio of Andreas Iniesta, Fernando Torres and Cesc Fabregas along with outsiders such as Barcelona winger Pedro Rodriguez, Osasuna defender Cesar Azpilicueta and Athletic Bilbao midfielder Javi Martinez. The final 23-man squads will not be known until 1 June, but this week coaches from each of the participating nations named the 30 players from which that ultimate decision will be made.