House keeps problematic bills in Prolegnas, aiming to pass them by October

first_imgThe House of Representatives has decided to proceed with the deliberation of controversial bills included on this year’s National Legislation Program (Prolegnas) priority list with a goal of passing them by October this year, while dropping several much-touted bills.The House held a meeting with the government and the Regional Representatives Council (DPD) on Thursday, in which they agreed to revise the priority list, citing the House’s limited capacity to deliberate all the bills included on it. “Some bills excluded from the Prolegnas can still be proposed to be included on next year’s priority list, which will be deliberated in October,” House Legislative Body (Baleg) chairman Supratman Andi Agtas of the Gerindra Party said upon chairing Thursday’s meeting.Law and Human Rights Minister Yasonna Laoly said the list had to be evaluated because the priority list was unrealistic following the COVID-19 pandemic. “This has always been a debate. Our capacity is far from the target.”There were 50 bills on the 2020 Prolegnas priority list. The legislative bodies and the government decided to drop 16 of them, while adding three more: the national development planning system, judges tenure and prosecutor bills. Among the bills that were kept on the list were the omnibus bill on job creation, as well as the criminal code, correctional center and Pancasila ideology guidelines (HIP) bills. Deliberations for the last three bills are still awaiting approval from the government.Lawmakers of House Commission III overseeing legal affairs had previously urged the government to resume deliberation of the controversial revisions to the Criminal Code and the 1995 Correctional Center Law, despite the ongoing COVID-19 outbreak and public disapproval.Deliberation of the criminal code and the correctional center bills was postponed last September following massive student protests in Jakarta and other regions, who demanded the bills be rejected for their threat against democracy and civil rights.Among problematic provisions in the Criminal Code revision were articles that critics fear would overcriminalize activities in the personal domain, such as cohabitation and consensual sex between unmarried people.Meanwhile, the current draft of the correctional center bill contains provisions that would remove prevailing regulations that stipulate strict criteria for issuing remissions and parole for prisoners convicted of extraordinary crimes, including terrorism and corruption.Read also: Govt opts to postpone deliberation of controversial bill on Pancasila amid backlash against HouseDeliberation of the HIP bill, which was proposed by the nationalist Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), was also recently blocked thanks to a coordinated campaign by Muslim organizations and Islamist political parties at the House.Parties opposing the Pancasila bill argued that it would lead to the reemergence of communism in the country due to its provisions saying that state ideology Pancasila will have three basic characteristics called trisila (three principles) consisting of socionationalism, sociodemocracy and cultural divinity. All three values would then be crystalized in ekasila (one principle) of gotong royong (mutual cooperation).Several lawmakers questioned the decision to keep the problematic bills, while others supported the decision to continue prioritizing them.Mulyanto of the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS) said the HIP bill should not be included on the priority list as the government had opted to postpone its deliberation amid outcry from the public who questioned its urgency and some of its contentious articles.Supratman responded that the Baleg could not do anything about the HIP bill as they were waiting for the government’s official response. “We should wait for the House leadership’s decision. We’ve also sent the bill’s draft to the President.”On the other hand, lawmakers supporting the deliberation of the problematic bills cited the recent passing of a controversial revision to the Coal and Mineral Mining Law as an “inspiration” for the commission to pass them.Indonesian Parliament Watch (Formappi) researcher Lucius Karus said the decision to withdraw some bills from the Prolegnas was questionable as the House still had until the end of the year. The withdrawal, he said, was just a sign of the House’s inability to do its job.”They’re also inconsistent. They drop some bills but add several new bills at the same time,” he said. “It is also possible that such revisions carried out amid the COVID-19 pandemic show the House’s eagerness to pass the controversial bills that are in their personal or group interest.”Lucius also questioned the House’s awareness of what the public wanted, as it dropped bills that people had been hoping for, particularly the sexual violence bill.Center for Policy and Legal Studies (PSHK) researcher Fajri Nursyamsi said the revision to the House’s Prolegnas was not so shocking as the legislative body had always been too ambitious and set its target too high since the beginning.He went on to say that the House should assess its ability to pass bills in line with the government’s goals. “A Prolegnas should be based on our development goals, such as the RPJMN [National Medium-Term Development Plan]. However, we’ve seen the list is often unrealistic.”Read also: Activists, survivors step up campaign for sexual violence bill after another delayThe wiretapping and marine security bills were also replaced by the Bank Indonesia and continental shelf bills.NasDem Party’s Taufik Basari questioned the decision to withdraw the sexual violence bill from the priority list, which had caused public outcry.National Commission on Violence Against Women (Komnas Perempuan) commissioner Mariana Amiruddin said the House had shown no concern for the victims of sexual violence by delaying the bill’s deliberation. Moreover, many Twitter users were enraged at the House’s excuse that the bill was “complicated”.Supratman said the withdrawal was due to overlapping criminal provisions with the criminal code bill, the deliberations of which had been delayed since September last year. At that time, students held massive protests in several regions across the country, demanding the bills be rejected for being a threat to democracy.“We hope we can include the sexual violence bill in the Prolegnas after we pass the Criminal Code bill,” he said.Topics :last_img read more

Moyes sticks up for Cleverley

first_img Over 17,000 people have signed the petition, which was set up by Glenn McConnell from Blackpool, who criticised the player’s “inept” performances for United and England. “Tom Cleverley is a fantastic young player who’s developing all the time,” the Manchester United manager said. “I believe that the players are working hard for each other. They know they can play better, and they will play better.” Last week’s Capital One Cup final and the international break mean Moyes’ team have been without a match for 11 days. Their last performance was one of the worst of the season, a 2-0 defeat against Olympiacos putting Moyes’ men on the brink of elimination from the Champions League. The big gap between fixtures has been both a help and hindrance to the United boss. “It has allowed some players to get games, like Darren Fletcher, Shinji Kagawa and Chicharito (Javier Hernandez), the people who have not featured as much as we would like,” Moyes said. “But certainly it’s also been a hindrance because we went into it off a bad performance and result in Olympiacos and we wanted to put it right much sooner.” United have the advantage of facing a team in a far worse predicament than their own this weekend. West Brom have not won a match since Pepe Mel replaced Steve Clarke as head coach of the midlands club. Albion were forced to deny speculation that Mel was on the verge of the sack despite only being in the job less than two months. Moyes is sure the Spaniard’s job is not under threat even though the Baggies are just one point above the drop zone. “I’d be very surprised if Pepe Mel is under pressure at this moment,” he said. “I wouldn’t think for one minute that after six games they were (thinking about) bringing in a new manager.” Robin van Persie is fit to face West Brom even though he fell ill on international duty this week but fellow s triker Javier Hernandez is unavailable after he suffered a knee injury in Mexico’s friendly against Nigeria. Juan Mata returns after being cup-tied for United’s Champions League defeat to Olympiacos. Centre-back Phil Jones (hip) could return but Jonny Evans (calf) and winger Nani (hamstring) are doubtful. Under-pressure Albion head coach Mel reverted to his native Spanish to face the media about Nicolas Anelka’s recent ban and speculation over his own future in a tense press conference on Friday. Less than 24 hours before a crucial Premier League home game against United, Mel was forced to bat away questions relating to Anelka’s five-match ban for his controversial ‘quenelle’ gesture as well as his own job security and reports of player unrest. Albion take on United at The Hawthorns knowing defeat could see them drop into the bottom three and deeper into the relegation mire. However, the match itself is not top of the news agenda, as Mel referred all questions about Anelka to the club while insisting he is confident about his own future and downplaying talk of dissent among the playing personnel. The Spaniard has recently used English in press conferences but opted to use an interpreter while under such scrutiny. “As I can imagine the questions, today I prefer to speak in Spanish,” he said. Asked about his position considering his failure to win in six matches since replacing Steve Clarke, Mel said: “My job depends on winning games and being a head coach is a risky business. “I came here extremely excited to do a good job and I’m certain that I’m going to carry this out.” Following reports of ‘showdown’ meetings with players, the former Real Betis boss was eager to stress such conversations are simply routine. “We’ve been here six weeks and had six meetings,” he said. “There was one this morning but it’s intelligent to try and adapt to the style of play that we want. “They are small things but they will make us better because the players will feel more comfortable. The players are the important ones, that are the coach’s bread and butter. “I’m the third coach at the club this season and it’s not been a pleasant situation this season. Winning games changes everything and we could all be here on Saturday evening smiling. “In football you should never look to the following game and we are totally convinced we can win against Manchester United.” Albion look likely to be without key midfielders Chris Brunt and James Morrison. Captain Brunt and fellow senior squad member Morrison both returned with knocks from international duty for Northern Ireland and Scotland respectively and will be assessed. Anelka will begin his five-match ban while right-back Billy Jones (torn hamstring) is out, but Stephane Sessegnon and Claudio Yacob are both back in contention. “He is a great trainer. He is first out and every day he does his best in training. “He always gives his best and that is why he will succeed.” Cleverley received the backing of England manager Roy Hodgson, who lashed out at those who had signed the petition. The midfielder did not feature for England in their friendly win over Denmark but he is fit for United’s game against West Brom on Saturday. A letter from Moyes to United season ticket holders came to light on Friday morning. In it, the Scot thanked the fans for their support during what he conceded was a sub-par season. Moyes repeated that message at his pre-match press conference. “We have great support,” he said. “The supporters understand the difficult period we are in and they are backing the players. Press Association David Moyes sprang to the defence of Tom Cleverley after an online petition was launched calling for the Manchester United midfielder to be excluded from England’s World Cup squad.last_img read more