Coca Harvests Are Down In The Andes

first_img Peru – From 2008 to 2009, the amount of land used for coca crops rose 6.8%. 2008 – 30.500 Hectares 2009 – 30.900 Hectares Colômbia – 43% Peru – 38% Bolívia – 19% 2008 – 842 Tons 2009 – 1.111 Tons Colômbia – 103,000 (39%) Peru – 119.000 (46%) By Dialogo July 01, 2010 I think the world’s authorities should unite behind one goal: STOP DRUGS, DESTROY PLANTATIONS. I TOLD YOU SO! 2008 – 81,000 Hectares 2009 – 68.000 Hectares Coca-leaf harvests in the Andes dropped 5.3% in 2009, thanks in large part to the 16% decline in Colombia. However, the U.N. warns of a growth trend of the crop in Peru. Crops in Colombia, Bolivia and Peru declined 5.3%. Colômbia – From 2008 to 2009, the coca harvest fell 16%. Although Colombia remains the country with the largest amount of land employed for coca crops, ahead of Peru, the latter is now the largest producer in the Andean region. Cocaine production in the Andean region in 2009 (in tons) Farmed area 2008 – 167.600 Hectares 2009 – 158.800 Hectares Bolívia – From 2008 to 2009, the coca harvest rose 1%. 2008 – 56.100 Hectares 2009 – 59.000 Hectares Production (in tons) last_img read more

Italy injects record 400 bn euros into pandemic-hit economy

first_imgToll shoots back up Italy has seen its novel coronavirus infection rates subside over the past few weeks and its death toll slowly level off.But the number of fatalities shot back up on Monday from its lowest level in more than two weeks.The civil protection service said the daily number of official COVID-19 deaths rose to 636 on Monday from 525 the day before.Sunday’s toll was the lowest since March 19. It also represented a drop of 23 percent from the 681 deaths reported on Saturday.Italy’s leading health officials had called Sunday’s drop an important data point that could potentially lead to an easing of the country’s strict month-long lockdown.But civil protection service chief Angelo Borrelli said Monday that the data were still being carefully assessed and that any definitive ruling was premature.”The technical-scientific committee is currently carrying out its evaluations. Then, it will be up to the political decision makers,” Borrelli told reporters.He said the scientists will draw their conclusions about how to proceed “in due time”.Italy’s current lockdown has been officially extended to April 13.Conte has repeatedly stressed that businesses will only be allowed to open up gradually and that many of the current social distancing measures will stay in place for some time.But he has refrained from saying when this might happen. Some officials have suggested that most of the current measures will be extended until at least the start of May.Yet some of the data released Monday looked encouraging.The daily rise in new infections dropped to a record low of just 2.8 percent.The number of people receiving intensive care treatment for COVID-19 fell for a third successive day. Italy on Monday unveiled a record 400 billion euro ($430 billion) stimulus to help businesses hurt by a month-long national lockdown that is like to run on for many more weeks.Prime Minister Giuseppe Conte told the nation to be patient in the face of a pandemic that has now officially claimed 16,523 lives in the Mediterranean country and left millions at least temporarily unemployed”We will soon see a new spring for Italy but for the moment we must stay at home,” the Italian leader said in a television address. The government also announced that it will take steps to protect Italian companies weakened by the economic crisis from being taken over by foreign competitors.”This moment of difficult will not translate into an opportunity to prey on Italian companies,” cabinet undersecretary Riccardo Fraccaro said. The program will add to the 340 billion euros in government-backed loans announced last month.Conte said it represented “the most powerful intervention in the country’s history”.Half of the new package will be earmarked for export-oriented companies whose turnover has imploded over the past month.Italy’s health “emergency is also an economic and social one,” Conte said. Topics :last_img read more

Ask the Mayor — May 8th, 2019 — Mason City councilman John Lee

first_imgMason City’s First Ward councilman John Lee was our guest on “Ask the Mayor” on May 8th, 2019. Listen back to the program, which you can also download, via the audio player below.last_img