A 62-year-old security guard was on Wednesday slapped with a narcotics trafficking charge and was remanded to prison.Marlon Norton, of Seaforth Street, Campbellville, Georgetown, appeared at the Georgetown Magistrates’ Courts. He denied that on December 16, 2019 at Willam Street, Kitty, Georgetown, he had 102 grams of marijuana in his possession for the purpose of trafficking.The prosecution is contending that on December 16, ranks on patrol duty saw Norton throwing a plastic bag into some bushes as they were approaching him. The bag was retrieved and the prohibited substance was found.The Prosecutor objected to bail and the Magistrate upheld the submission. The case will continue on January 8, 2020.
• Photo Gallery: 11/01: Bridge on Fire MONTEBELLO — Crews from Pico Rivera partially demolished the fire-damaged end of the Beverly Boulevard bridge Wednesday to extinguish an unyielding blaze that engulfed the structure a day earlier and resulted in its indefinite closure. With Whittier Boulevard already restricted to two lanes through downtown Montebello due to construction, the closing of Beverly Boulevard presents potential traffic nightmares, officials said at a special meeting Wednesday called to discuss the matter. Angry local business owners who say the Whittier Boulevard construction has drained away customers confronted city staff Tuesday night at an unrelated meeting, expressing concern that the bridge closing will cut into their profits even more. The bridge marks the border between Montebello and Pico Rivera, with both cities sharing ownership and responsibility for its maintenance. It also is one of only three major east-west thoroughfares through the two cities from the San Gabriel (605) Freeway. AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREWalnut’s Malik Khouzam voted Southern California Boys Athlete of the Week “It’s like we’re having a heart attack and some of the arteries are blocked,” said Montebello Councilman Bob Bagwell at Wednesday’s meeting. “We must feed all that traffic onto fewer streets.” Council members threw out suggestions and questions to city staff as they attempted to brainstorm ideas for solving the traffic crisis and potential economic fallout from the closing. Councilwoman Norma Lopez-Reid requested patching up the street where construction began last month on Whittier Boulevard. Bagwell suggested making the same corridor one-way during rush hour. City Administrator Richard Torres said the city would rent electronic message boards to keep drivers informed. All members stressed the importance of signs to inform motorists of alternate routes. “Our staff is aware that we can’t have enough signage (to direct motorists),” Torres said, who welcomed all suggestions. “I think as people find out about the bridge being out, it will be human nature for them to find the shortest distance between two points. Last time the bridge was closed, traffic flow changed from the first, second and third weeks.” Richard Lynsky, Montebello Fire Department battalion chief, said crews were forced to destroy the burning Pico Rivera end of the bridge in order to put out the fire. “They demolished it up to the cement center section,” Lynsky said. “But we couldn’t get underneath it. There was a lot of fuel under the bridge with all the wood, so we had to go from the top to put it out. That was Plan C, though.” With the most recent blaze, the 50-year-old bridge has sustained four fires over the years, the last one in 1999, when officials from Pico Rivera, Montebello and Los Angeles County began talks about replacing the bridge, said Mike Moore, acting director of public works for Pico Rivera. The bridge is divided into thirds, with Montebello owning one third and Pico Rivera owning two thirds. On Tuesday, hours after the blaze was first reported, county officials received approval for federal funds to build a new bridge. “The estimated cost to build a new bridge is about $10.7 million, which is what the county received federal approval for,” said Ken Pellman, spokesman for the county Department of Public Works. “The federal funding, hopefully, will be about 80 percent of it, with the two cities responsible for 20 percent, or about $1,039,000 each. All of this has been worked out. The fire probably will just speed up the process.” After finding a burned mattress under the bridge’s wreckage, arson investigators from the Los Angeles County Fire Department suspect a transient camping underneath the bridge may have started the fire, said Bob Spencer, public information officer for the city of Pico Rivera. He said traffic Wednesday was relatively calm, and no major problems had been reported by the Sheriffs’ Department. Inspectors from county public works are still trying to determine whether a temporary bridge can be built or whether complete demolition is necessary. — Pam Wight can be reached at (562) 698-0955, Ext. 3029, or by e-mail at [email protected] local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set!