Some 10,000 police officers, or one third of Bahia’s police force, were on strike, demanding a 50 percent pay raise, better work conditions, and no retaliation, the state Public Safety Department said. The average wage for a state officer is currently about US$ 867 a month. “The way in which this strike is being carried out is unacceptable,” Brazilian Justice Minister Jose Eduardo Cardozo said. Brazilian security forces took control in Bahia on February 5, patrolling key intersections in Salvador, the state capital, after a police strike led to a major increase in murders and violent crime. Crime fears were having a dire economic effect. Pedro Galvão, president of the Association of Travel Agencies of Bahia, told Brazil’s O Globo newspaper that 10 percent of tourists had already canceled their air and hotel reservations for the Carnival. Officials in the northeastern state said 76 murders were reported over the past five days, double the number for the same period last year. Assaults and store lootings also increased. “For the last two days I have not left my apartment,” Italian businessman Marco Baghin told reporters. “It made no sense to risk being attacked or robbed.” Brazilian soldiers spread out in Salvador to prevent further violence, patrolling highways and the city’s renowned beaches. By Dialogo February 07, 2012 The strike and the spike in violence came just two weeks before millions of tourists were expected to arrive for Brazil’s premier tourist event, the Carnival. Bahia, with a population of 13.6 million, is a main Carnival center. A force of 2,600 Army, Navy and Federal Police was ordered to Brazil’s fourth most populous state after local police went on strike on February 3, demanding higher pay, weeks before the annual Carnival.
ASIP represents 935 Swiss Pensionskassen, who in turn represent around two-thirds of the country’s population covered by workplace pension plans. Of the 188 members that participated in ASIP’s survey, 159 were in favour of the reform package and 29 against. Of those registering their support, 60 did so with reservations, mainly because of concerns about a CHF70 (€64) monthly top-up of statutory pensions for future pensioners.“On the basis of these results and after weighing the pros and cons, ASIP says ‘yes’ to the compromise,” the industry association said in a statement.Given the different structures of ASIP’s member schemes, the association said it was up to each individual pension fund to decide how to position itself in the campaign and how it wanted to inform its members.ASIP said it would not join any campaign committee, but it would still be involved in the referendum campaign, mainly by running a digital education and fact-checking campaign.This would highlight the pros and cons of the proposed reform and the consequences of a ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ vote, it said.ASIP’s goal was to improve understanding of pensions-related matters and counter false information, it said.ASIP has already been running a website pressing the case for reform. Its public position had been to argue that reform was necessary and urgent, and that all stakeholders needed to compromise. After the parliamentary vote in March it said the second pillar amendments should be accepted.The Swiss general trade union association came out in favour of the reform package, saying that, on balance, it was positive for employees. Employer and commercial federations have come out against the reform. The insurance association has not said backed either side, instead choosing to communicate that it has reservations and considers the proposed reform package “unsatisfactory”.See IPE’s May magazine for more views about the upcoming referendum Switzerland’s occupational pensions association has decided to back the country’s reform package, AV2020.At its general assembly today, ASIP announced its support for the proposals agreed in parliament earlier this year, after seeking its members’ opinions on the Altersvorsorge 2020/Prévoyance vieillesse 2020 (AV2020/PV2020) reform package.After considerable back-and-forth, the reform was approved in March. It will go to a referendum, to be held on 24 September.ASIP said it would focus its referendum campaign efforts on “fact-checking”.
(REUTERS) – Bruce Arena has been handed the tall order of getting the United States’ qualifying campaign for the 2018 World Cup back on track after being named head coach of the national team, U.S. Soccer said yesterday.Arena, a five-time Major League Soccer champion coach who is taking over for the recently fired Juergen Klinsmann, is no stranger to the U.S. national team having been at the helm from 1998 to 2006.Considered by many to be American soccer’s greatest coach of all-time, Arena’s previous stint with the U.S. team included a run to the quarter-finals of the 2002 World Cup, the country’s best result in the tournament since the inaugural event in 1930.“When we considered the possible candidates to take over the Men’s National Team at this time, Bruce was at the top of the list,” U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati said in a statement.Arena now takes over a U.S. team who are sitting dead last in CONCACAF World Cup qualifying after last week’s stunning loss to Costa Rica, which came on the heels of a home loss to Mexico.During his first stint with the national squad the United States shot to fourth from 19th in the FIFA world rankings and his 71 wins are easily the most in U.S. history.
IT was tough going for the Old Fort men last weekend as they were made to endure two losses in as many matches against Bounty GCC and the Pepsi Hikers in the Farfan & Mendes Men’s First Division League.On Friday afternoon at Bourda, Old Fort took the field against an energized Bounty GCC,playing in front of a vociferous home crowd.The match seemed as though it would be an easy one for GCC as Old Fort,without a few of its senior members, succumbed to a Mark Sargeant field goal just 3 minutes into play and Kevin Spencer added a second for the Bourda side ten minutes later.Just as the match seemed to be getting out of Old Fort’s reach however, Old Fort’s Aderemi Simon, pushed into the forward line,produced two moments of pure brilliance.In the 22nd minute of play, Simon received a long pass from defence, turned past his marker and outpaced the GCC defence to blast a bullet of a shot into the GCC net. Simon would repeat this feat five minutes later for his own and his team’s second goal of the match to take the score into half time at 2-2.GCC’s pressure in the second half proved too much for Old Fort and their defensive fortitude eventually collapsed, conceding six more unanswered goals to end the match with an 8-2 GCC victory. Spencer managed a helmet-trick for GCC while Shaquille Leung scored a double and Kareem McKenzie a single.The very next afternoon saw Old Fort return to the field against tournament leader,Pepsi Hikers. This matched proved even more one-sided as the Hikers drowned their opposition by 9-0. While Old Fort managed to keep the game scoreless for sixteen minutes, the Hikers seemed threatening from the start. Midfielder Shane Samuels was the highest scorer of the match with a hat-trick, Andrew Stewart scored a double while Robert France, Randy Hope, Kevin Fogenay and Tivesard Garnett each added one.Matches continued yesterday with Bounty GCC vs Saints HC at Saints ground from 16.30hrs.
Meg the collie had been missing since Friday evening from the Burt area, however she was reunited with her owner after a local vet took her in.A lady called Maria reached out and noted that a female collie had been found and was being looked after by staff at Letterkenny Animal Hospital. Jenny, Meg’s owner, immediately knew it was Meg and they are now reunited.Jenny told Donegal Daily that Meg had been found wandering along the road by one of the local vets, Gerry Roarty. Gerry kindly took Meg to Letterkenny Animal Hospital where he looked after her with great care and sought out Meg’s owners. Jenny said; “Meg is a lucky, lucky girl. Just got a name tag for her so it’s not happening again!” She also said that Meg is absolutely 100% after her little adventure down to Letterkenny, but is very glad to be back home. Meg makes it home safe and sound thanks to local vet was last modified: August 30th, 2016 by Elaine McCalligShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:COLLIEfound dogMegMISSING DOG
SHARE SHARE EMAIL FIFA has shifted its award ceremony from its usual January slot to October so players are judged across a season Cristiano Ronaldo has caught up with Lionel Messi to become a five-time winner of FIFA’s best player award.The Real Madrid forward was crowned player of the year yesterday at the FIFA Best ceremony at the London Palladium theatre attended by runner-up Messi and third-placed Neymar.A second successive honour for Ronaldo was expected after a season in which the Portuguese eclipsed his award counterparts in the trophy stakes, as well as Spanish league and Spanish Super Cup success, Ronaldo scored twice in the Champions League final against Juventus to win European soccer’s elite competition for the third time in four seasons.Ronaldo’s coach at Madrid, Zinedine Zidane, was crowned coach of the year.FIFA has shifted its award ceremony from its usual January slot to October so players are judged across a season based on the typical European schedule rather than the calendar year.The women’s award honoured the Netherlands’ success at the European Championship in August. Lieke Martens, who scored in the final win over Denmark, won the player’s award and Sarina Wiegman collected the coaching accolade.The Puskas Award for best goal went to Arsenal striker Olivier Giroud for a scorpion-style kick. The Puskas Award-winning goal from an overhead back-heeled strike came on New Year’s Day in Arsenal’s 2-0 victory over Crystal Palace in the English Premier League. Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after winning The Best FIFA Men’s Player Award with Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane who won the best coach award in London Palladium, London. – Reuters Published on football × October 24, 2017 COMMENT Real Madrid’s Cristiano Ronaldo celebrates after winning The Best FIFA Men’s Player Award with Real Madrid coach Zinedine Zidane who won the best coach award in London Palladium, London. – Reuters SHARE COMMENTS