Number of people who are out of work in Limerick City…

first_imgEmail THE number of people on the Live Register in Limerick is still “unacceptably high”, according to Sinn Féin councillor Maurice Quinlivan.He was commenting on figures from the Central Statistics Office (CSO) showing an increase of 421 in the number of people on the Live Register in the city since May. Data from the CSO also indicates an increase of nearly 100 young people in the city under the age of 25 signing on last month, rising from 1,933 in May to 2,030 in June.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up Cllr Quinlivan believes that Limerick is not creating the jobs needed and he also said the EU-wide Youth Guarantee Plan needs to be reviewed immediately if it is to reach any of its goals. The scheme promises to make ‘offers’ to around 30,000 young Irish people at the highest risk of long-term unemployment this year.“The number of people on the Live Register is still unacceptably high. Figures from the Department of Social Protection also shows a huge number of long-term unemployed young people have been on the Live Register for more than a year,” he said.He believes the increase in the jobless figures reflects a lack of immediate opportunities or options for young people. The Youth Guarantee Plan is aimed at providing young people under the age of 25 with a good quality offer of employment, continued education, an apprenticeship or a traineeship within a short time of becoming unemployed. However, he claims many young people haven’t heard of it.“Many young people I’ve been in touch with recently haven’t even heard about the Youth Guarantee Plan, never mind being up to date on how they should go about trying to avail of a placement,” he claimed.“Limerick city is particularly suffering from a severe lack of jobs. Youth unemployment figures are climbing in both the city and the county. There is not the sense of urgency from our local ministers that the unemployment and emigration crisis demands. Indeed if it were not for schemes such as JobBridge and record emigration levels, the unemployment rate would be way higher,” he concluded.In response, a spokeswoman for the Department of Social Protection said that nationally, the seasonally-adjusted figure for young people on the Live Register fell by 1,300 in June (although the unadjusted figure rose slightly for reasons principally related to the end of the school/college year). This continues an almost uninterrupted series of monthly falls over the last two years.”“The increase quoted for Limerick in June also relates to the effects of seasonal factors. In fact, the number of young people on the register in Limerick continues to fall year-on-year. The June figure is down by 7 per cent on June last year, and by 32 per cent since June 2011.“The fall since 2011 has been slightly greater in Limerick than the fall of 29 per cent nationally over the same period,” the spokeswoman added. Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live Advertisement Twitter Print Linkedin NewsLocal NewsNumber of people who are out of work in Limerick City is ‘unacceptably high’By Alan Jacques – July 10, 2014 505 TAGSCentral Statistics OfficeCllr Maurice QuinlivanDepartment of Social ProtectionlimerickLive RegisterSinn FeinYouth Guarantee Plan center_img WATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Facebook RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Previous articleSt John’s Cathedral in Limerick is cut down to sizeNext articleLack of appreciation in Limerick for improving quality of life Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

Fresh Kitchen: learning experience for Sainsbury’s

first_imgSainsbury’s has confirmed it has closed its concept food shop Fresh Kitchen in London, following a year-long trial.The takeaway shop, which sold everything from sandwiches, pastries and wraps to soups, curries, and salads, opened in January last year, and looked set to heat up competition in the lunchtime market. A spokesperson for Sainsbury’s said the retailer had learnt a lot from the trial, such as what the ideal footprint should be, “and we don’t want to compromise on either quality or service by staying in the Fleet Street store”.There was no seating at the store and Sainsbury’s branding was kept to a minimum, with the shop instead highlighting the fact that products were freshly prepared on-site.At the time of the launch last year, Sainsbury’s remained tight-lipped on whether the brand would be rolled out nationally or would appear in its supermarkets, although it did say “watch this space”.“While we may come back to the high street in the future with a bigger and slightly different offering, we are not going to renew the lease for the current store,” said the spokesperson. David Gray, UK retail analyst, Planet Retail, said one of the key points was that the outlet was much smaller than Sainsbury’s was used to operating. “However Sainsbury’s has said it may consider launching a slightly larger outlet in the future,” said Gray. “Location-wise, it was also quite difficult, as there was a lot of competition from well-established sandwich chains.”Gray also questioned its development of a Fresh Kitchen own-brand label, and said he personally would have used the strong Sainsbury’s brand in the outlet. “Sainsbury’s has got a very strong brand. In the past few years, especially, it has really come into its own, with the continued focus on value. It has done a fantastic job in marketing own-label products. Even with the Basics range, it has certain values behind it,” he said.On the positive side, he believed the retailer would take the insights learned from the trial and apply them elsewhere in stores, perhaps by widening its hot food offering in Sainsbury’s Local outlets.Gray added that one of the factors behind Sainsbury’s success could be its focus on food, which he thinks they will maintain. In comparison to retailers like Tesco, Sainsbury’s food/non-food ratio is much greater.>>Sainsbury’s new concept takes on takeaway marketlast_img read more

Coal India moving forward with plans to install 3GW of solar capacity by 2024

first_imgCoal India moving forward with plans to install 3GW of solar capacity by 2024 FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享ETEnergyworld.com:State-owned Coal India on Monday said it plans to set up 14 rooftop and ground-mounted solar power projects of 3,000 MW capacity by 2023-24 which will entail an investment of Rs 5,650 crore. Coal India (CIL) is mandated by the coal ministry to become a net zero carbon company. Solar power initiative is a part of CIL’s diversification plans, the PSU said in a filing to BSE.The likely investment would be around Rs 5,650 crore, it said. While Rs 3,650 crore is planned to be invested through CIL’s capex, till 2023-24, the rest would be met through joint venture models that the company intends to pursue for this initiative.Synergising their efforts, CIL and NLC India Ltd have floated a joint venture entity ‘Coal Lignite Urja Vikas Private Ltd’ to develop 1,000 MW solar power projects.CIL has also tied up a JV with NTPC and an MoU with Solar Energy Corporation of India for solar projects of 1,000 MW each, the progress of which is being worked out individually.Additionally, the solar power initiative helps CIL reduce its whopping annual power consumption expense, which was around Rs 3,400 crore ending FY2020, accounting for around 4.4 per cent of the revenue expense for the year. Any saving under the power bill would also bolster the bottom line of the company to that extent, the PSU said.Besides establishing solar projects, CIL is in discussions with NTPC Ltd for purchase of 140 MW solar power under the Centre’s CPSE scheme. Cumulatively, it adds up to little over 3,000 MW by FY2024.More: CIL to set up 3 GW solar power projects of Rs 5,650 crlast_img read more

Suarez says Lionel Messi is better than Cristiano Ronaldo ahead of El Clasico

first_imgThe former Liverpool hitman is set to make his long-awaited Barcelona debut against Ronaldo’s Real Madrid next weekend.Luis Suarez will be Liverpool’s biggest fan when his old Anfield mates take on Real Madrid on Wednesday.Despite moving to Barcelona in a £75million deal in the summer,the Uruguayan ­superstar has two reasons for willing the Reds to success.He still retains his Liverpool loyalties and on Saturday he is set to make his debut for Barca in El Clasico. So anything the Reds can do to undermine and tire the European champions will be gratefully received.Suarez said: “I will never forget what the supporters of Liverpool have done for me. They were always behind me and they gave me the best time of my life. That is something I will never be able to forget.”Suarez has been serving his ban for biting Italy’s Giorgio Chiellini at the World Cup but will be in the Barcelona squad that takes on Real Madrid at the Bernabeu.  GettyReturn: Suarez has almost completed his four-month ban for biting Chiellini in the World Cup Last week he received the Golden Shoe, the award handed to the leading ­goalscorer in Europe.           It is amazing to think that while achieving that for Liverpool he missed part of the campaign through suspension and never took penalties.It was an award he had to share with Real’s ace marksman ­Cristiano Ronaldo. Kop legend Kenny Dalglish travelled to Barcelona to present the award to Suarez and strengthen the Liverpool links.“What Kenny Dalglish has done for me at Liverpool is incredible,” he said.“He was like a coach, a mentor and a father. He helped me so much in a league as complicated as the Premier League.“That’s why it meant a lot to me that he came all the way to Barcelona last week for the award of the ­European Golden Boot. I personally thanked him again for what he has done for me.”  David RamosFormer manager: Dalglish travelled to Barcelona to award Suarez with the Golden Boot Suarez has never feared controversy and in typical style he joined the debate about whether Anfield will see the best footballer in the world in action when Ronaldo turns up.He reckons it would be much tougher for the Reds if Lionel Messi was among the opposition.With an eye to the weekend’s El Clasico, Suarez insisted: “In my opinion Leo is better. I train and play with Leo every day and he surprises me every day. He is unique. “Everybody knows what he has brought to Barcelona, what kind of world-class player he is.“For me he is the best player in the world for what he has already done, and he’s still so young.”last_img read more