Former West Indies ‘A’ batsman Shacaya Thomas will be eyeing a century when play resumes today, the second day of Jamaica Scorpions’ third four-day trial match at Sabina Park.The usually aggressive Thomas, in his best knock of the three games thus far, closed the day on 56 not out, as Paul Palmer XI, responding to a meagre 124 made by John Campbell XI, closed the day on 84 for one, 40 runs behind.Earlier, former Scorpions’ vice-captain Nikita Miller, with four for 51, led the way for Palmer XI.The sidelined West Indies left-arm spinner was supported by young pacers Gavan Brown and Chris Powell, who earlier on did most of the damage, before finishing with three for 30 and two for six, respectively.
SHARED RIDING HONOURS Apprentice Anthony Thomas, who rode both TIMEFORARMS and FRANCIA’S PRIDE, shared the riding honours with Halledeen, who also rode two winners. Meanwhile, CTL presented cash awards to the winners and runners-up in the 2016 overall monthly winners in each category – Garth Samuels and Oneil Hinds (owners), Wayne DaCosta, Anthony Nunes (trainers), Bebeto Harvey (jockey), Sterling Smith, Ferron Hall (grooms). Racing continues on Wednesday. CAMPESINO confirmed his status as one of the country’s top sprinters with a facile victory in the season’s first grade one race, the $1.2 million Eileen Cliggott Memorial Trophy over 1300 metres, at Caymanas Park yesterday. Toting topweight of 57.0kg with Robert Halledeen riding for 14-time champion trainer Philip Feanny and popular owner Howard Hamilton, CAMPESINO, running as the 4-5 favourite in a field of five, chased the leader, SIR BUDGET, for most of the way before going by entering the straight. Thereafter, it was smooth sailing as he moved away to win by 33/4 lengths from 8-5 second favourite BRAWN and FRANFIELD in the smart time of 1:17.3 JAMAI RAJA (lame) was declared a late non-starter. This was CAMPESINO’s second consecutive win and his third from his last four starts. The consistent seven-year-old gelding by Campadre out of Yaella had previously won the St. Catherine Cup open allowance feature over 1100 metres on January 7 and the prestigious Glen Mills O.J. Caribbean Sprint Championship over 1200 metes on November 12, ahead of his more fancied stable-companion BUZZ NIGHTMARE. On a day when O&S Tack Room provided product prizes, a bag of Alfalfa Cubes feed to the winning owner of each race, trainer FItzroy Glispie highlighted the 11-race programme with three winners. These were BIRD CATCHER (2-1), who humbled the highly-thought-of three-year-old colt FEARLESS SAMURAI (1-9 favourite) in the opening race over a mile, 3-5 favourite FRANCIA’S PRIDE in the second and the veteran campaigner TIMEFORARMS (2-1), who produced a tremendous late run on the rails to win the overnight allowance race over 1500 metres in a driving finish.
Tim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crown Bolick said he has no doubt of his team’s capabilities and he is looking forward to facing the Blue Eagles.“They’re the champions in the UAAP, we’re the champions in the NCAA so it’s a good way to see who is really the better team,” said Bolick in Filipino. “I’m happy because the Ateneo players are my friends so I’m excited to face them.”FEATURED STORIESSPORTSGinebra beats Meralco again to capture PBA Governors’ Cup titleSPORTSAfter winning title, time for LA Tenorio to give back to Batangas folkSPORTSTim Cone, Ginebra set their sights on elusive All-Filipino crownThe Red Lions lost to Ateneo in the elimination round, 68-69, however, Bolick did not play in the game.Bolick said one of the key factors in beating Ateneo is to stop their team play as the Blue Eagles “are good at sharing the ball.” Jury of 7 men, 5 women selected for Harvey Weinstein rape trial Volcano watch: Island fissures steaming, lake water receding Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST PLAY LIST 01:00Chief Justice Peralta on upcoming UAAP game: UP has no match against UST00:50Trending Articles00:50Trending Articles02:14Carpio hits red carpet treatment for China Coast Guard02:56NCRPO pledges to donate P3.5 million to victims of Taal eruption00:56Heavy rain brings some relief in Australia02:37Calm moments allow Taal folks some respite03:23Negosyo sa Tagaytay City, bagsak sa pag-aalboroto ng Bulkang Taal01:13Christian Standhardinger wins PBA Best Player award Taal victims get help from Kalayaan town Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next “Their system is always intact that’s why we really need to defend tomorrow,” he said.Bolick will keep an eye out for Matt Nieto, who was the start in Ateneo’s quarterfinal because the Blu Eagles’ offense starts with him.“Ateneo play as a team so it’s hard to tell who to guard. But for me, we really have to stop Matt so they can’t execute their system.” Ma. Angelica D. GarciaADVERTISEMENT 7-time champ Serena Williams gets smooth draw at Wimbledon Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. MOST READ In fight vs corruption, Duterte now points to Ayala, MVP companies as ‘big fish’ San Beda star Robert Bolick is confident that the Red Lions will successfully defend the Filoil Flying V Preseason Cup crown against reigning UAAP champion Ateneo on Saturday.ADVERTISEMENT Lights inside SMX hall flicker as Duterte rants vs Ayala, Pangilinan anew Bicol riders extend help to Taal evacuees For the complete collegiate sports coverage including scores, schedules and stories, visit Inquirer Varsity. Cloudy skies over Luzon due to amihan LATEST STORIES Christopher Tolkien, son of Lord of the Rings author, dies aged 95 View comments
Vincent Kompany in action for Manchester City 1 Roma have made Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany their top summer transfer target, according to sources in Italy.Kompany’s season has been hampered by a calf injury but he remains a key member of the squad at the Etihad.The Belgian is under contract until 2019 and new manager Pep Guardiola is not expected to move him on when he takes over in the summer.But that has not stopped Roma from putting him at the top of their wish list for when the transfer window opens.Manager Luciano Spalattei is a big fan of the centre-back and wants to build the team around him at the heart of his defence.
MALIBU – Two people were killed today and a third — a Los Angeles County firefighter — was injured in a fiery collision involving a gravel- hauling big rig and two other vehicles in Malibu, authorities said. The crash occurred about 10 a.m. at Pacific Coast Highway and Kanan Dume Road, said California Highway Patrol Officer Jose Nunez. The two victims died at the scene, Nunez said. Their names were not immediately released. According to Los Angeles County sheriff’s Sgt. Philip Brooks, the big rig driver was traveling illegally on Kanan Dume Road, which is off-limits to truck traffic. He noted that many truck drivers have been using Kanan Dume in the past several days because Malibu Canyon Road, the normal truck route, has been closed because of the brush fire in the area. According to Brooks, the truck driver was traveling at about 70 mph and could not stop as he traveled downhill on Kanan Dume, then ran through the red light at Pacific Coast Highway, slamming into two vehicles. The driver of the first car, a Mercedes, was killed on impact, Brooks said. Brooks said the driver likely panicked or could not read the signs in English.160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m. The truck also hit a vehicle being driven by a county firefighter on his way to work. The firefighter, who suffered a broken ankle, was trapped in his vehicle, but another driver pulled him from the vehicle before it broke into flames, Brooks said. After hitting the two vehicles, the truck smashed into an embankment, sending gravel flying into the air and killing the driver, according to Brooks. Chris Freeman of the county Fire Department said the injured firefighter was taken to UCLA Medical Center. Sheriff’s Deputy Oscar Butao said the firefighter was on his way to work when the accident occurred. That stretch of PCH was closed for about six hours, as was Kanan Dume Road from PCH to Mulholland Highway. Brooks said the collision occurred at the bottom of an 8-mile-long, 8 percent grade. He said there have been two similar fatal collisions involving trucks at the same location over the past decade, and like today’s crash, the drivers involved did not use a runaway truck lane at the site.
AMERICAN tourist Kelly Jones has been released from hospital, and is now staying in Sligo with her father who arrived in Ireland yesterday evening.It’s understood she doesn’t remember anything from teatime last Friday until 8pm on Tuesday when she woke up beside the old rectory in Glencolmcille. She broke into the building and stayed there until her rescue the next day.She will return to Glencolmcille today to collect her belongings and will return to America next Tuesday. It’s understood she has apologised for any inconvenience caused to the people of the Donegal village and has offered to pay for the window she broke when she entered the holiday home.TOURIST SEARCH: KELLY RELEASED FROM HOSPITAL was last modified: September 24th, 2011 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window)
FIANNA FAIL, excluded from the powersharing pact on Donegal County Council, is to field its own candidate for Mayor next Monday.Independent councillor Ian McGarvey is widely accepted to be installed as the first citizen of the county with another independent, Michael McBride, as his deputy.However Fianna Fail will nominate veteran Bundoran councillor Sean McEniff for the role with Seamus O Domhnaill as his deputy. A role-sharing pact ended in 2010 after Labour, Sinn Fein and Fine Gael accused Fianna Fail of passing a budget without their attendance. FIANNA FAIL’S SEAN McENIFF TO RUN FOR MAYOR AGAINST IAN McGARVEY was last modified: June 20th, 2013 by BrendaShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:FIANNA FAIL’S SEAN McENIFF TO RUN FOR MAYOR AGAINST IAN McGARVEY
Share Facebook Twitter Google + LinkedIn Pinterest By Harold Watters, CCA, Ohio State University Extension agronomistWe are just compiling the Extension fall soybean weed surveys; it is bad again with waterhemp, giant ragweed, and marestail leading — this is the first year that we have a pigweed species in the number one spot in several counties. The number of clean fields has gone down, likely due to late planting and then missing the timing on weed size.I spoke with Mark Loux last week and shared preliminary results of the survey. His response was that we have good technology for dealing with all of these weeds —RRXtend, LibertyLink and now Enlist. But timing was critical this year and we just couldn’t hit it with the weather. So speak now with your seed supplier, and your herbicide supplier. Plan to use a different program than you used last year. Add pre-emergent herbicides at planting or with that burndown the week before planting. And in waterhemp areas (there are lots of them) add an additional pre-emergent herbicide at post application timing to extend your residual program. Good products are Zidua, Warrant, even Dual.Lastly as I say above, fall herbicides do work. This can be an excellent start to your marestail management program. This year we let our marestail get too big and they were difficult to take down even with our best Extend, Liberty or Enlist program.How late in the year can we spray? I have sprayed in December, just before a big freeze and still had success. One year — the winter with no winter — I sprayed in February.
Grace Poe files bill to protect govt teachers from malicious accusations LATEST STORIES Private companies step in to help SEA Games hosting PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games PLAY LIST 02:42PH underwater hockey team aims to make waves in SEA Games01:44Philippines marks anniversary of massacre with calls for justice01:19Fire erupts in Barangay Tatalon in Quezon City01:07Trump talks impeachment while meeting NCAA athletes02:49World-class track facilities installed at NCC for SEA Games02:11Trump awards medals to Jon Voight, Alison Krauss ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town The Lady Tamaraws’ No. 2 shirt is iconic for the sole reason that Bernadeth Pons was the last one to wear it.Criticisms may have come Ebon’s way for wearing Pons’ old number, but the young outside hitter isn’t putting too much thought into that negativity.FEATURED STORIESSPORTSPrivate companies step in to help SEA Games hostingSPORTSUrgent reply from Philippine football chiefSPORTSPalace wants Cayetano’s PHISGOC Foundation probed over corruption charges“Ate Pons just told me that the No. 2 is just a number and that’s all I think of,” said Ebon in Filipino in FEU’s four-set win over National University, 22-25, 25-19, 25-19, 25-12, in the UAAP Season 81 women’s volleyball tournament Saturday at Filoil Flying V Centre in San Juan.“I don’t mind what the outsiders tell me or say about me because they don’t know what transpired on our side.” US judge bars Trump’s health insurance rule for immigrants Oil plant explodes in Pampanga town MOST READ Game changer: Tim Tebow enters Mets camp ‘all in’ on baseball MANILA, Philippines—She may be a rookie but Lycha Ebon is carrying Far Eastern University’s No. 2 jersey with a pride that can even resemble that of its previous owner.ADVERTISEMENT ‘We are too hospitable,’ says Sotto amid SEA Games woes SEA Games hosting troubles anger Duterte Ebon also seemed to have channeled the abilities of Pons, who was an MVP candidate in the past two UAAP season, when she topscored for the Lady Tamaraws with 13 points.The rookie’s performance also earned the praise of head coach George Pascua and team captain Jerrili Malabanan.“It’s possible that Ebon will eventually carry our offense because she also plays the same position as Pons’,” said Pascua in Filipino.“I’m proud of the way my teammates performed especially Lycha, it was her first game but she didn’t play like a rookie,” said Malabanan who finished with 10 points.Ebon said that she originally wanted to wear No. 7 but fellow rookie France Ronquillo beat her to it.ADVERTISEMENT “I really wanted the No. 7 shirt but it was already taken and No. 2 was the only one available so I had no choice,” said Ebon.Sports Related Videospowered by AdSparcRead Next Don’t miss out on the latest news and information. View comments
Supreme Court-appointed Committee of Administrators (COA) head Vinod Rai’s decision to announce an ad-hoc panel to conduct interviews of candidates who apply for the new Indian women’s coach job does not have the blessings of the other committee member, former Indian women’s team captain Diana Edulji.In an internal BCCI communication accessed by India Today, Diana struck down Rai’s instructions to go ahead and named an ad-hoc committee comprising of Kapil Dev, Anshuman Gaikwad and Shanta Rangaswami to interview applicants for the coaching job. “I have read Mr Rai’s mail and don’t agree with it. As chairman he can’t take any unilateral decisions as there is no casting vote for chairman. Rahul and Saba without my approval you cannot proceed on this as it does not have my approval,” she writes addressing CEO Rahul Johri and General Manager Saba Karim.Edulji bringing in BCCI’s handling of the Virat Kohli-Anil Kumble conflict argues that on the same line, the player opinion should be respected while choosing the women’s team coach too. Citing T20 captain and vice captain Harmanpreet Kaur and Smriti Mandhana’s request to retain coach Ramesh Powar for his good work, she writes that Powar’s services be continued for the upcoming tour of New Zealand in January.”The Capt and vice Capt have requested their choice so why can’t we respect their choice for this tour till we get clarity on the committee. We can go ahead and continue with the same coach. The views of the 2 senior players must not be ignored.advertisementVirat did not accede to Kumble continuing inspite of CAC saying so then why not these 2 players get what they feel is best for the team,” she writes.Vinod Rai counters Edulje arguing if players sentiments had to be respected, so should Mithali Raj’s. “If it is a question of respecting opinions of senior players— why not respect the opinion of the senior most player– in fact the ODI captain of the team?,”The original idea of letting the Cricket Advisory Committee (CAC) conduct interviews of coaching aspirants did not fruitify after refusal and reluctance from Sachin Tendulkar, Sourav Ganguly and VVS Laxman to involve themselves in the process.There too the two COA members remain at loggerheads.”I would like to state that the CAC said they would have liked more time. We should give them the time and define their role better. The applications we received can be kept in abyence so one tour can be taken care of,” writes Edulji.Rai countering Edulji goes on to term Powar’ as reason for bad blood in the team. “The advert for the head coach has issued. If media is to be believed, internationally reputed coaches have applied/are applying.We cannot now withdraw and say that we will continue with our ad hoc coach of three months — who has been the reason for such bad blood in the team.”This chapter has to be closed and the earlier the better,” he writes.