Man Utd captain Maguire regains freedom after assault hearing

first_imgManchester United captain Harry Maguire was released from Greek police custody Saturday, TV footage showed, ahead of a hearing on assault charges on the island of Mykonos. Wearing a baseball cap and mask, Maguire was shown leaving a courthouse on neighbouring Syros island, accompanied by what appeared to be members of his legal team, and boarding a dark minivan. The England centre-back’s hearing has been set for Tuesday but he is not obliged to be present. Manchester United said in a statement: “Following the appearance in court today we note the adjournment of the case to allow the legal team to consider the case file. “Harry has pleaded not guilty to the charges. It would be inappropriate for the player or club to comment further while the legal process takes its course,” the club said. His lawyer Constantinos Darivas had earlier told Greek sports website gazzetta.gr that the England centre-back had denied the charges, and was in “fine condition” despite spending two nights in detention since his Thursday night arrest. Greek TV channel Mega said Maguire’s father had flown to Greece to be at his son’s side. The case is being heard on the island of Syros, the administrative hub of the Cycladic island group that includes Mykonos. The £80 million (88 million euros) defender was arrested late Thursday after what Greek police described as an “altercation” between two groups of British tourists on Mykonos. Mega said Maguire had become enraged after someone in the other group struck his sister. A Greek police statement on Friday said that three men aged 27, 28 and 29 had been arrested in Mykonos. The police said an officer was punched on the scene, and that a second fight had broken out at the local police station where the three men “strenuously resisted (arrest), pushing and striking three officers.” One of the suspects then tried to bribe the officers to hush up the incident, the police said. The suspects are accused of assault, resisting arrest, verbally insulting and threatening the arresting officers, and attempted bribery, the police said. Four Mykonos officers sustained slight injuries in the fracas, the authorities said. Mykonos is popular with sports stars and celebrities for its all-night nightlife and beaches. United’s 2019⁄20 season ended Sunday in a 2-1 defeat to Sevilla in the Europa League semi-finals. Harry Maguire (baseball cap) is escorted by plain clothes police officers to the central police station on the island of Syros, west of Mykonos, after her was arrested last night for allegedly assaulting officers during a raucous night out Read Also: Barcelona board struggling to pin down Messi But the club will be back in pre-season training in two weeks and could begin the new Premier League campaign in less than a month. On Monday, Maguire had tweeted after the elimination: “Time to go away, reflect, recover and be ready to come back stronger next season.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 Loading… center_img Promoted Content6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True7 Reasons Why You Might Want To Become A VegetarianWhich Country Is The Most Romantic In The World?The Most Exciting Cities In The World To Visit8 Things That Will Happen If An Asteroid Hits EarthCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayTop 9 Scariest Haunted Castles In EuropeBest & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever Made2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearThe 10 Best Secondary Education Systems In The WorldA Guy Turns Gray Walls And Simple Bricks Into Works Of ArtYou’ve Only Seen Such Colorful Hairdos In A Handful Of Animelast_img read more

Colin Bennie advances to NCAA Finals

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Comments On Thursday, just one SU runner qualified for the NCAA Outdoor Track Championships by placing well at the NCAA East Preliminaries in Tampa, Florida.Senior Colin Bennie (29:23.08) placed sixth in the men’s 10K race to advance to the NCAA Finals in the event.Iliass Aouani, Dominic Hockenbury, Joe Dragon and Kevin James also ran in the 10K but failed to qualify for the finals.In the women’s 100-meter dash, Imani Clark didn’t qualify for the NCAAs with a 11.78 time but will get another chance to advance in tomorrow’s 200-meter event.The Outdoor Track NCAA Championships will be held in Eugene, Oregon, from June 6 to June 9.AdvertisementThis is placeholder textcenter_img Published on May 24, 2018 at 10:52 pm Contact Danny: dremerma@syr.edu | @DannyEmermanlast_img read more

With Anthony Davis in hand, Lakers under renewed pressure to win now

first_imgIn the relative dark ages for the franchise, Lakers exceptionalism has taken on a new meaning.In the past few years alone, team executives have sworn to either play for championships or quit. Jim Buss gave himself a deadline to contend – one he never met. Magic Johnson similarly gave himself a timeline to get stars, coming home with LeBron James last summer before following through with his threat to quit.MORE COVERAGE:Lakers agree to acquire Anthony Davis in blockbuster tradeWhicker: With Kuzma staying and Davis coming, it’s no longer LeBron or bust for LakersAlexander: Two days in, the Lakers have won the offseason … for what that’s worthReaction to Lakers trade for Anthony Davis – LaVar Ball predicts no championships Newsroom GuidelinesNews TipsContact UsReport an Error How athletes protesting the national anthem has evolved over 17 years Lakers practice early hoping to answer all questions It’s a complicated collection of assets, but the bottom line is that the Pelicans will control the Lakers’ draft picks for years to come. It will likely be a long time before the Lakers can amass lottery talent like they did the past few years with Julius Randle, D’Angelo Russell, Ingram and Ball.There’s even more of a crunch factoring in how it will affect the Lakers’ salary cap. The earliest the deal can be officially completed is on July 6, but the Lakers could get cap relief if they sign the No. 4 draft pick and wait until that player becomes tradeable later in the month. While that’s the clearest path to getting the roughly $32 million required for a third max salary slot – which the Lakers would need to go hunting for a big game free agent such as Kyrie Irving, Kawhi Leonard, Jimmy Butler or Kemba Walker – it doesn’t necessarily behoove the Pelicans to wait that long, particularly if they trade away the fourth pick. A team that trades for that caliber of prospect would likely want him in hand as soon as possible, particularly considering Las Vegas Summer League begins on July 5.Furthermore, Davis has a $4 million trade kicker he can exercise that counts against the Lakers’ salary cap. If the Lakers can’t wait to finish the trade, and if Davis doesn’t waive the kicker, their space will shrink to just under $24 million. That amount will prevent the Lakers from getting a third max contract player, and also will likely limit their options for chasing less prominent free agents in a market where an estimated 40 percent of the league’s active players will be available.Outside of the big names, shooters will be a premium for the team that finished second-to-last in 3-point shooting last year. New coach Frank Vogel stressed in his introduction that the Lakers’ offense needs shooting to create space, which becomes all the more important with James’ and Davis’ ability to make plays and score in the paint.Related Articles Backcourt play is all the more important given that the Lakers just traded away two starters from last year’s team, and virtually everyone else will be a free agent this summer. Moe Wagner and Isaac Bonga, draft picks from 2018, still remain for now.A possible X-factor is how much free agents still believe in the Lakers’ prestige and James’ ability to lead championship-caliber teams. On James’ previous contending teams, past-their-prime stars (Mike Miller, Ray Allen) have come to team up with him and provided helpful contributions. While the 2019 market will be more competitive than the 2018 version due to more teams with cap space, perhaps James’ and Davis’ ability to recruit players to their cause can give the Lakers an edge.It might be hopeful thinking in an era when Lakers exceptionalism hasn’t had its typical positive connotation. But now that the Lakers have taken one big step toward contending again, more will have to follow.The players themselves recognize this. James greeted Davis with an Instagram post captioned in part: “Let’s get it bro! Just the beginning.” It implies that there’s much more of a climb ahead, one James understands as well as anyone.The noise won’t stop until they get there. Trail Blazers beat Grizzlies in play-in, earn first-round series with the Lakers AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREUCLA alum Kenny Clark signs four-year contract extension with Packers“I think simply put, the best way to quiet the noise is to do what the Lakers do and that’s to win and to compete for banners,” Pelinka said last month, when criticism whipped furiously around the Lakers’ organization. “The noise will exist if you’re not doing that.”In that sense, trading for Anthony Davis on Saturday is a deal that turns down a particular kind of heat. Pelinka finally hammered out the deal that had been dangled for months, securing a player who has twice finished in the top five of MVP voting at just 26 years old and breathing new energy into next year’s squad.The timing is also particularly apt: After suffering two critical injuries to Kevin Durant and Klay Thompson in the NBA Finals and with free agency looming, the Golden State Warriors’ stranglehold on the West is slipping. A team with James and Davis – who averaged a combined 53.3 points, 20.5 rebounds, 12.2 assists and 3.0 blocked shots last season – poses a real threat in a post-Warriors-dynasty world. It’s a mega-wattage pairing, one with few true parallels in NBA history.But even as Pelinka, team owner Jeanie Buss and other Lakers executives have eased one kind of pressure, other kinds are immediately arising. They now have two generational talents, but they’ll have to prove that they can build a team around them and that the investment in one year of Davis will yield an extension next summer when he becomes a free agent.As more details become clear about the deal, it’s clear that the Lakers gave up much of their future to win now. In addition to Brandon Ingram, Lonzo Ball and Josh Hart – all first-round picks – ESPN and other outlets reported the Lakers sent the Pelicans a sizeable package of draft assets: the No. 4 pick this season, a top-eight protected pick in 2021 (which could become an unprotected pick in 2022), a pick swap in 2023 and an unprotected pick in 2024 (which can be deferred to 2025). Lakers, Clippers schedules set for first round of NBA playoffs General Manager Rob Pelinka hasn’t said as much – big all-or-nothing declarations are not his style – but the pattern remains the same. More is expected of the Lakers: more wins, more stars, more championships. And without those things, the scrutiny and pressure build to turn things around for a franchise that rarely has been lost in the wilderness for long. Trail Blazers, Grizzlies advance to NBA play-in game; Suns, Spurs see playoff dreams dashed last_img read more

Olympics: IOC delays Russia ban decision for CAS ruling

first_imgWADA, the German Olympic committee and anti-doping bodies have backed calls for Russia’s outright ban from Rio — that would be the first time a country has been banned from an Olympic Games over doping.But the Association of Summer Olympic Federations and other groups have urged caution, pointing to the ethical issues of punishing athletes who have never failed drug tests.The International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has already barred Russian track and field contenders from Rio after an inquiry into widespread state-sponsored doping in the sport.The CAS will rule on whether the IAAF had grounds to impose a blanket ban on a national federation, since such a suspension inevitably punished athletes with no positive drug test on their record.IAAF president Sebastian Coe attended a CAS hearing in Geneva on Tuesday ahead of the ruling.IOC executives also ordered a reanalysis of all samples by Russian athletes taken at the 2014 Sochi Winter Olympics, vowing punishment against anyone who helped competitors cheat.Because the Sochi Games are so tainted, the IOC said it would not give backing to any international sports events in Russia.It called on “all International Olympic Winter Sports Federations to freeze their preparations for major events in Russia.”This includes world championships and World Cups, the IOC said, calling for winter federations “to actively look for alternative organisers.”In hidingThe Russian Olympic Committee has acknowledged doping problems but insists that collective punishment against possibly clean athletes would leave “the integrity of the Olympic Movement… endangered.”Senior sports and political leaders in Moscow have also questioned the credibility of McLaren’s key witness, the former boss of the Moscow anti-doping laboratory Grigory Rodchenkov, who admits he was central to the cheating scheme.Rodchenkov is in hiding in the United States and is wanted by Russia.McLaren said his team uncovered forensic evidence that proved Rodchenkov’s claims that Moscow set up a cheating system following the country’s poor performance at the 2010 Vancouver Winter Games.Share on: WhatsApp Lausanne, Switzerland | AFP |The International Olympic Committee barred Russia’s Sports Minister Vitaly Mutko from the Rio Games and withdrew backing for international events in Russia over a state-run doping programme, but delayed ruling on a complete ban on the country until after a key court case on Thursday.With the Rio Games due to start on August 5, the IOC executive committee held emergency talks Tuesday on what Olympic president Thomas Bach called a “shocking and unprecedented attack on the integrity of sport and on the Olympic Games” by the Russian government.The World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA), which commissioned an independent inquiry into Russian doping, has led international calls for Russia to be banned from Rio over revelations of widespread state-run doping at the Sochi Winter Olympics and other major events in Russia.But the IOC said after the talks it will first “explore the legal options with regard to a collective ban of all Russian athletes for the Olympic Games 2016 versus the right to individual justice.”It is also waiting on a Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ruling on Thursday on an appeal by 68 Russian athletes against an IAAF ban from the Rio competition.Mutko barredThe controversial Mutko, a long-time ally of Russian President Vladimir Putin, was the highest-profile casualty of the first sanctions as the IOC grapples with the biggest doping scandal in Olympic history.He has denied any wrongdoing and said he expects his deputy to be cleared as well.But the IOC ordered a disciplinary commission to look into his ministry’s role in what Monday’s report called a “state-dictated failsafe system” of drug cheating that included Russia’s secret service swapping dirty urine samples for clean ones through a hole in a wall in Sochi.Lead investigator Richard McLaren says he has conclusive evidence that the four-year doping scheme was directed by the sports ministry with the FSB intelligence agency.As a consequence, the IOC said it will not grant any Rio accreditation “to any official of the Russian Ministry of Sport or any person implicated in the (McLaren) report.”That includes Mutko, who has denied that the government directed the doping programme. He told the Interfax news agency he was hoping for a “reasonable” decision from the IOC on Russia’s participation in Rio.Mutko said he has suspended five top deputies, including his number two Yury Nagornykh, described as the point man for running the cheating scheme.Key ruling duelast_img read more