Joshua keen on Klitschko rematch after Wembley triumph

first_img(REUTERS) – IBF, WBA and IBO heavyweight champion Anthony Joshua is eager for a rematch with Ukrainian Wladimir Klitschko following the pair’s thrilling fight at Wembley on Saturday.Joshua defeated 41-year-old Klitshcko after 11 rounds in British boxing’s biggest bout to extend his winning streak to 19 fights. Klitschko’s record now stands at 64 wins with five losses.A clause in their contract allows the beaten fighter to ask for a rematch but Klitschko said he would take some time before making a decision.“A rematch will be good, because of the type of fight we had,” Joshua told reporters.“I think he will want to fight again, because a fighter is the last one to know when to stop. But I think the team around him, his (soon-to-be) wife, because they normally wear the trousers, and his brother might advise him differently.”Joshua said he respected Klitschko and had no qualms about a rematch.“I have the ultimate respect for him inside and outside of the ring. I wouldn’t mind fighting him again if he wants the rematch. It’s up to him. So if he’d like to fight again, no problem,” Joshua said.If Klitschko retires, Joshua could face fellow Briton and former heavyweight champion Tyson Fury, who is yet to regain his boxing licence, after the two traded words on Twitter last week.last_img read more

Rest day for Republic of Ireland squad

first_imgThe Ireland squad have been given a day off today ahead of Saturday’s Euro 2016 qualifier against Scotland.Martin O’Neill took the decision last night to cancel this morning’s scheduled training session in order to allow his players some extra down time this week.At the mid-way point of the Group D qualifying campaign, O’Neill admits that it’s still hard to predict which teams will progress and which ones will lose out.last_img

Mason City man pleads not guilty to burglary, assault charges

first_imgMASON CITY — A Mason City man accused of crashing into a house after allegedly trying to run over people he was involved with in an altercation has pleaded not guilty. Mason City police say they were called shortly after 12:20 on the morning of June 5th to the area of 1st and North Tennessee after multiple 9-1-1 callers reported a man crashed his car into a house and was armed with a gun. On arrival, officers found a car that had crashed into the east side of a home at 1046 1st Northeast. 19-year-old Zachary Baker-Ostrand called 9-1-1 to report he was involved in a collision, with medics finding Baker-Ostrand near the intersection of 2nd and North Tennessee complaining of injuries. After further investigation, it was discovered that Baker-Ostrand was allegedly involved in an altercation with the residents of 22 North Tennessee, where he is accused of trying to run over one of the residents with his vehicle, and then crashing his car into the house across the street. Baker-Ostrand allegedly had a BB gun that he started shooting at 22 North Tennessee, walking up to the front of the house, shooting out the front door window, kicking in the door and threatening the occupants. Baker-Ostrand was charged with first-degree burglary, a Class B felony, as well as assault with the intent to inflict serious injury, reckless driving, and failure to provide proof of insurance. Baker-Ostrand was due to have his arraignment hearing on Tuesday in Cerro Gordo County District Court but filed written pleas of not guilty last week to the charges. His trial has been scheduled for October 20th.last_img read more