James Passes Jordan to Become AllTime Playoff Scoring Leader

The Cleveland Cavaliers pose with their trophy after winning Game 5 of the NBA basketball Eastern Conference finals  (AP Photo/Elise Amendola)BOSTON (AP) — The NBA Finals has its first “three-match,” courtesy of the King who passed His Airness.LeBron James scored 35 points and passed Michael Jordan to become the NBA’s all-time playoff scoring leader as the Cleveland Cavaliers beat the Boston Celtics 135-102 on Thursday night to claim their third straight Eastern Conference title and another trip to the NBA Finals to meet the Golden State Warriors.Kyrie Irving added 24 points and Kevin Love finished with 15 for the Cavs, who never trailed and led by as many as 39 points in one of their most dominating wins of the series. The Cavs set an NBA record by winning their 13th consecutive series closeout opportunity.Cleveland’s 4-1 series win gives it a 12-1 record this postseason and sets up a third consecutive matchup with Western Conference champion Golden State, the team it beat in the Finals last season to claim the franchise’s first championship.“I wear the number because of Mike,” James said. “I think I fell in love with the game because of Mike, just because of what he was able to accomplish. When you’re watching Michael Jordan, it’s almost like a god. So, I didn’t think I could be Mike.”It will mark the seventh straight trip to the Finals for James, who hit a 3-pointer late in in the third quarter to nudge past Jordan on the playoff scoring list. He quickly flashed one finger as he backpedaled down the court.In the postgame trophy presentation backstage, James spent most of it lingering in the background as his teammates celebrated.But there’s no denying that his accolades are putting him in the orbit of Jordan, his boyhood idol.“The biggest thing is I did it just being me, I don’t have to score the ball to make an impact on the basketball game,” James said. “That was my mindset. If I’m not scoring the ball, how can I still make an impact on the game?”As much as this series was about James, Irving helped turn the tide of the series with a 42-point effort in Game 4. But he said both he and his teammates continue to be inspired by their leader.“He’s been the driving force, this entire playoff run, and all of us have just helped us along the way,” Irving said.Coach Tyronn Lue said they’ve gotten tighter this season.“This team is a crazy team. They just stayed resilient all year, got to the playoffs, and we really stepped our game up,” he said. “Now, we can start focusing on Golden State to get ready. As of tonight, I’ll get started.”Avery Bradley led Boston with 23 points.The Cavaliers basically conceded the East’s top seed to the Celtics at the end of the regular season by opting to rest their starters in advance of the playoffs. But they displayed their superiority over the final two games to wrap up the series.After allowing the Celtics to seize the early momentum in Game 4, the Cavs barely gave them a chance in Game 5.Led by its Big Three, Cleveland quickly built a 21-point lead in the first quarter, while getting lots of contributions from their teammates.Love continued to knock down shots from the outside, Irving sliced his way into the lane to the rim and James got free for several of his one-handed tomahawk dunks.It was a very welcome sight in Irving’s case, after he rolled his left ankle in the third quarter of Cleveland’s Game 4 win. He showed no signs of lingering issues, though, beating several defenders off the dribble and handing out seven assists.Meanwhile, J.R. Smith and Kyle Korver helped spread out Boston’s defenders by connecting on several wide-open scoring opportunities.Deron Williams, who had been quiet for most of the series, also got in on the act with a series-best 14 points for Cleveland.TIP-INSCavaliers: James has scored 30 or more points in 11 of Cleveland’s 13 games this postseason. … Improved to 36-5 against Eastern Conference opponents in the playoffs since 2015. … The 43 points Cleveland scored in the first quarter set a team postseason record for a quarter.Celtics: Never led at home in the series. … Finished the playoffs having made at least 10 3-pointers in 16 of their 18 games. … Held a pregame moment of silence for the victims of the Manchester bombing.MAKING PROGRESSThe Celtics did their best to keep up, but the consistent outside shooting, bench scoring and defense they relied on to stun Cleveland in Game 3 wasn’t there Thursday night.Celtics coach Brad Stevens said though he’s disappointed with how the season ended, he’s encouraged that no one in Boston’s locker room is satisfied just making it to the conference finals.“I told our guys, ‘We made a lot of great strides, but this pain is part of the path to what we ultimately want to be,’” he said.SHOWING SUPPORTInjured Celtics point guard Isaiah Thomas was in attendance Thursday night and gathered with his teammates in a huddle before they took the court for pregame warmups.The two-time All-Star was sidelined in Game 2 after aggravating a hip injury. read more

California Governor Reappoints Members to Military Council

first_img Dan Cohen AUTHOR California Gov. Jerry Brown (D) this week re-appointed 19 members to the Governor’s Military Council, a body he established in 2013 to strengthen the state’s support for the military.“California plays a crucial role in our nation’s defense, and military bases and activities are vital to our state’s economy,” Brown said when he created the body three years ago. “As federal priorities shift to cyber security and new military technology, this council will work to expand defense industry jobs and investment in California,” he said.The governor also appointed two new members. The council is led by Ellen Tauscher, a former Democratic member of Congress and undersecretary of state. The vice chair is Edward Hanlon Jr., president of Transatlantic Insights LLC and a former top executive at Raytheon.Other members include Dennis Kenneally, executive director of the Southwest Defense Alliance, and Philip Coyle, a former Pentagon test director and member of the 2005 BRAC Commission.California is home to more than 30 installations. The council is aimed at protecting the state’s installations and operations amid cuts in defense spending, and leveraging changes in DOD’s military strategy to position the state to continue innovation and leadership in its military mission.Last June, the council released a report outlining steps the state should pursue to enhance California’s defense missions and their benefits to the state’s economy. The report’s recommendations included:actively engaging federal decision-makers to shape defense budget and policy proposals;partnering with other states to strengthen integration of the Southwest defense testing and training complex;supporting the aerospace industry, military contractors and other entities that sustain national defense activities in addition to conventional installations;maintaining bipartisan support in California’s national security mission;encouraging installations to partner with local governments and companies to reduce operational costs;strengthening incentives for veterans and discharging service members to stay in California;assisting installations to expand renewable energy and other shared energy priorities; andhelping installations secure reliable water supplies amidst drought and climate change.last_img read more

NBCUniversal streaming service to launch in April

first_img Now playing: Watch this: Share your voice Top 5 unanswered questions about Apple TV Plus 1 50 Photos Comment 2:21 2019 TV shows you can’t miss NBCUniversal is working on its own streaming service.  SOPA Images/Getty NBCUniversal, a streaming service from Comcast, will launch in April, NBCUniversal CEO Steve Burke said during a Comcast earnings call Thursday.The service, which will reportedly be ad-supported, has been expected and caused some consternation among fans of The Office, when it was announced in June that the show would be leaving Netflix for the NBC platform in 2021.There’s no shortage of companies getting into the streaming business. Both Apple and Disney, for instance, are working on platforms. Originally published at 7:09 a.m. PT.Update 7:20 a.m. PT: Adds additional information about streaming platforms. Tags Digital Medialast_img read more

N Korea says still open to talks

first_imgThis combination of pictures created on 24 May 2018 shows US president Donald Trump speaking to the media as he makes his way to board Marine One at the White House on 23 May 2018 in Washington, DC, and an undated picture released from North Korea`s official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) on 18 May 2018 of North Korean leader Kim Jong-Un speaking while attending the first Enlarged Meeting of the 7th Central Military Commission of the Workers` Party of Korea (WPK) in Pyongyang. Photo: AFPNorth Korea responded on Friday with measured tones to US president Donald Trump’s decision to call off a historic summit with leader Kim Jong Un scheduled for next month, saying Pyongyang hoped for a “Trump formula” to resolve the standoff over its nuclear weapons programme.On Thursday, Trump wrote a letter to Kim to announce his withdrawal from what would have been the first-ever meeting between a serving US president and a North Korean leader in Singapore on 12 June.“Sadly, based on the tremendous anger and open hostility displayed in your most recent statement, I feel it would be inappropriate, at this time, to have this long-planned meeting,” Trump wrote.Trump’s announcement came after repeated threats by North Korea to pull out of the summit over what it saw as confrontational remarks by US officials.Friday’s response by North Korean vice foreign minister Kim Kye Gwan was more conciliatory, specifically praising Trump’s efforts.“We have inwardly highly appreciated president Trump for having made the bold decision, which any other US presidents dared not, and made efforts for such a crucial event as the summit,” Kim said in a statement carried by state media.“We even inwardly hoped that what is called “Trump formula” would help clear both sides of their worries and comply with the requirements of our side and would be a wise way of substantial effect for settling the issue,” he said without elaborating.North Korea has sharply criticised suggestions by Trump’s national security adviser John Bolton and vice president Mike Pence that it could share the fate of Libya if it did not swiftly surrender its nuclear arsenal. Libyan leader Muammar Gaddafi was deposed and murdered by NATO-backed militants after halting his nascent nuclear programme.Trump had initially sought to placate North Korea, saying that he was not pursuing the “Libya model” in getting the North to abandon its nuclear weapons program. White House press secretary Sarah Huckabee Sanders also said: “This is the president Trump model. He’s going to run this the way he sees fit.”Kim Kye Gwan said its recent criticisms against certain US officials had just been a reaction to unbridled American rhetoric, and that the current antagonism showed “the urgent necessity” for the summit.“His sudden and unilateral announcement to cancel the summit is something unexpected to us and we cannot but feel great regret for it,” Kim Kye Gwan said, while noting that North Korea remained open to resolving issues with Washington “regardless of ways at any time”.“The first meeting would not solve all, but solving even one at a time in a phased way would make the relations get better rather than making them get worse. The US should ponder over it,” Kim said.Nuclear Site DecommissionedTrump’s letter came just after North Korea announced it had completely dismantled its Punggye-ri nuclear test facility “to ensure the transparency of discontinuance of nuclear test”.Footage of the event broadcast by South Korean media showed explosions throwing huge clouds of dust and debris as they destroyed tunnel entrances as well as multiple wooden structures around the site.Other images showed North Korean officials displaying a map of the site, including several major tunnel complexes they said were unused and completely operational prior to being collapsed.Analysts worried the cancelling of the talks could prompt resumption in hostilities on the Korean peninsula, including renewed shorter-range missile tests or stepped-up cyber-attacks by Pyongyang and increased sanctions or deployment of new military assets by Washington.Trump, in scrapping the 12 June summit in Singapore, sounded a bellicose note, warning Kim of the United States’ greater nuclear might, reminiscent of the president’s tweet last year asserting that he had a “much bigger” nuclear button than Kim.Speaking later, Trump said the US military stood ready if Kim were to take any “foolish” action, and that the United States would continue its “maximum pressure” campaign of sanctions to press North Korea to give up its nuclear weapons.South Korean president Moon Jae-in, who worked hard to help set up the summit and urged Trump at a White House meeting on Tuesday not to let a rare opportunity slip away, said he was “perplexed” by the cancellation. He urged Trump and Kim to talk directly.US secretary of State Mike Pompeo and his South Korean counterpart, Kang Kyung-wha, held a phone call and agreed to continue working towards creating the right conditions for the United States and North Korea to talk, the South’s foreign ministry said in a statement on Friday.Pyongyang had not responded in recent days to queries by the United States about the leaders’ summit, Pompeo told a Senate hearing.Japanese Foreign Minister Taro Kono said Tokyo understands Trump’s decision to cancel the Singapore summit, Kyodo News reported.“It’s meaningless to have talks that don’t achieve results,” Kono told reporters on a visit to Mexico City, the news agency said.Japanese defence minister Itsunori Onodera also played down the significance of the cancelled meeting.“The important thing is not the US-North Korea meeting itself, but that the meeting becomes an opportunity to move forward in the issues of denuclearisation and abductions,” he told reporters in Toyko.last_img